Career > Work

Mini Teachers- What I Learned from my Pre-K Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

I have been teaching Pre-K for a little over a month now, and I never would have guessed that the students would also teach me. Everyday, I leave work with a new skill, fact, or outlook, all to the credit of my class of 30 preschoolers. I have put together three of my favorite lessons I have learned during my time as a teacher, and how I use them in my life.

1. Be Honest about how you are feeling.

My students often come up to me and openly express their needs. I first think myself, Are they tired, aggravated, sad, or excited? Do they hate the snack option and want something else (that they know we have)? Are they tired of being friends with someone because they won’t share? But, there is never any need to guess because chances are they already told me.

This honesty is paramount and something I wish people did more! Often, I leave my emotions and the cause of them to be guessed by others, which creates a lot of confusion and aggravation for everyone. If I had the skill of communicating my emotions like my students, I would have a much easier time solving problems, and going to others for help when I need it. If we don’t tell people how we feel, how will they know?

1. Take care of your body.

Snack breaks, water breaks, naps, and bathroom trips are all constants in my classroom. If a student’s body is telling them they need something, they will get it. Poor timing, or perhaps having no time at all, never gets in the way of one of my kids when it comes to a self-care task. 

I have learned that when my body wants something, I should listen just as well as my students do. I find myself (especially in college) skipping a meal due to lack of time despite being hungry or “just holding it” if  I need to use the restroom during a class. Following in the footsteps of my preschoolers has only had its benefits, I feel less angsty, and way happier when I cater to my body. 

1. Being silly is ok. 

Laughing when you spill, having funny dance parties, and drawing not-so-serious pictures of yourself is not discouraged in my classroom. School is serious, and my students are not, they are only 3. When a task is hard, or a day isn’t going quite as planned, it’s easy to get frustrated, sad, or even quit. But my students often tend to laugh about it or find a way to take the frustration and turn it into something fun (like a dance party brain break). 

As I grow older and advance in my educational career, my school work, social life, and professional life become harder. It’s easy, and a habit to become frustrated. When looking at my preschoolers, I learned that it is ok to decompress and let yourself laugh before tackling a hard task.

Despite my students only being three or four years old, they have already taught me so much. From these lessons, I have gathered in my short time teaching, I also realized that everyone has something to teach you.

Hi I’m Cecilia! Aside from Her Campus, I am a part of the sailing sailing and rowing teams at my university. I grew up in my hometown of Glastonbury Connecticut and love to take the occasional trip home. I love anything outside, and am always trying different things. Writing has always played an important role in my life, and I’m so excited to be apart of HC