How To Stay Safe on CUA’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

More and more students are forcing to come to terms with the reality of campus safety. Going to school in a city has taught many of us that we can become victim on our campus, especially on a alcohol-fueled weekend night. Luckily, there are many proactive tips that we can learn and share to protect ourselves, and others, to prevent potential tragedies.

1. Be Aware of Your Surroundings

Although it may seems obvious, many students don’t take this simple advice. With the constant presence of technology it’s easy to find yourself walking down the street with your eyes glued to your phone and music blasting in your ears. By doing this however, you are stripping yourself of your two most crucial senses. You may have no idea who is near you and what is going on around you. The DC Metro Police advise you to not wear headphones when taking the metro alone because it makes you a target for an attacker. When you’re listening to your music you’re less likely to hear someone come up behind you.

2. Use the Buddy System

There is power in numbers; when you’re walking with a group or even one other person, which is not hard to do on a college campus, you immediately become less vulnerable to an attacker, especially when you’re drunk. Remember to protect yourself and your friends also; friends don’t let friends leave parties alone! Even if your friend promises you she’ll make it home okay and will text you when she’s back, go with her. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

3. Trust Your Instincts

If you don’t feel good about a situation that you’re in, chances are your instincts are correct. Go with your gut and avoid someone who makes you uneasy and uncomfortable. Leave a situation that you don’t feel right in. Don’t ignore those instinctual feelings because your life could be on the line.

4. Use CUA’s Resources

DPS is on duty 24/7 here at CUA. DPS regularly patrols the campus and is ready and able to provide students with escorts. Also located all over campus are emergency phones with blue lights for direct emergency assistance. If you ever find yourself in an emergency you should try to find these phones as quickly as possible.

5. Save DPS’ Number

To contact CUA’s Department of Public Safety call: 202-319-5111 or dial extension 5111 from any campus phone. 

Raised in Winchester, Massachusetts, Katherine is a Marketing major at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.. She  has a passion for yoga, traveling, skiing, her dogs, and pasta. In addition to being the Co-Founder and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus CUA, she works at an Irish Pub on Capitol Hill.  She hopes Her Campus will unite the women of CUA and she attempts to occassionally bring femininity and the dynamics of living in Washington, D.C. into her articles.