CUA Colleges Against Cancer 5K

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

On October 18th, 2015 at 10am, CUA’s Colleges Against Cancer Committee hosted a 5K. The committee started setting up at 8am before the 9am registration. The 5K was for Breast Cancer Awareness month, which is also in October. The race had a ten-dollar registration fee and all proceeds went to the American Cancer Association. The first fifty people who registered received a free cup from the American Cancer Society. Donations were also being accepted. Student who ran in the 5K ran around the CUA campus twice and were supported by Committee members who were holding up signs directing the runners and encouraging them to keep going. I was one of the helpers holding up a sign by O’Boyle Hall. The top runners for the 5K were Matt Fitzsimmons for the guys and Mary Selzer for the girls; both received prizes. 

Colleges Against Cancer is a not for profit student organization. The organization is dedicated to bringing awareness and community to people who are survivors of cancer, have loved ones who have or had cancer, or are dedicated to supporting those who are fighting this disease. Last week, the group hosted a Pink Out on campus. They encouraged everyone to wear pink to show support to those who suffer from cancer. Also, in the Pryz, they was a table set up for the group and gave out ribbons and information on how Colleges Against Cancer spreads cancer awareness. Other tables in the Pryz showed their support by wearing pink and having pink at their tables. There were Breast Cancer Ribbons all over the Pryz as well and they were being handed out to students to help show support. Today was another event for the student organization and acted as a fundraiser for American Cancer Association. The next big event will be in the spring and it is Relay for Life. Relay is a twelve-hour even that is held in the Pryz. It allows the school to come together to raise money and show support for cancer research. All student organizations and teams join in to see who can raise the most money. This fun event is held in the Pryz. Last year, there was music, a hypnotist, a caricaturist, and many other fun things and the theme was Disney.

Want to learn more? Want to to get involved? Look out for the monthly tables in the Pryz sporting Colleges Against Cancer. Each month there will be a new point to the table and information will be given out about what the month is significant for, important things to know, and different events that are coming up. In the spring look out and get ready for Relay For Life! You won’t want to miss it!

After living in 3 different countries including 3 different states in the USA, it is no surprise that Roisin Gibbons decided to come to the nation's capitol to pursue a career in Social Work at CUA. Whil she did run away to Australia, her love for DC and the HC family brought her back home. Now a semester away from her senior year, Roisin is a HerCampus CUA writer, Co-President of CSWNA, Active Minds Fundraising Chair, and Marketing Chair for NRHH. Along with that, her own blog and volunteer experiences, she finds time to be a fashionista, singer, adventurer, and model for GUS Vintage Goods in California over school breaks. Roisin hopes to make a difference for victims of human trafficking and alcohol and drug addiction as a Social Worker and believes that her work with communities and blogging has put her ahead of the game.