This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Are you bored out of your mind yet in quarantine? If you can’t do anymore sit ups or push ups in your living room, want to take a break from reading a book or looking for something to do with a sibling, or have a little bit of extra cash and want to do some crafts; I totally feel you. I’ve compiled a short list of DIY crafts to do on your own or with a friend to keep busy and support small businesses during COVID-19. Don’t worry and hang in there, because it’ll be okay soon! <3

1. Unwined Candles, Sykesville MD – DIY Soy Candle Making Kit

For just $25, you and a friend can choose one of four scents to make candles. The kit has wax to boil, two 8oz candle tins, wicks, and your selected fragrance. Additionally, for the art inclined, there is a label for you to decorate. If you’ve never made your own candle, don’t worry because there is a step by step instruction sheet. This is a fun, quick, and easy activity you can complete 6’ apart. 

1. DIY Terrariums 

If you have always wanted to have little terrariums in your room or office, now’s your chance! On Etsy, you can buy a $29 set of everything you need from the business “Living Arrangement” to make a terrarium. The kit comes in a nice biodegradable cardboard box with separated black and white pebbles, moss, a succulent, soil, decor, and instructions.The container for your creation has a string to  either hang it or leave it on your windowsill and desk. 

1. DIY Potpourri 

This one is very customizable. You can use items around your kitchen and your yard if you have one. You can  use anything: flower petals, pine cones, vanilla extract, orange peels, cinnamon sticks, essential oils, mint, thyme, lemon slices, etc. Not only will your combination smell fantastic, but it will also look very pleasing. The world is your oyster when it comes to picking the variations you want. It’s recommended that you use essential oils with whichever other ingredients you choose, because the oil you pick can tie in all the scents. This website can help you with the rest.  

1. Hot Sauce Making Kit (and more!) – Portland, Oregon

If you love all things spicy, at this website, you can make hot sauce to keep your quarantine tasting great. The kit comes with several kinds of dried peppers, gloves, sterilizing, solution, a small funnel, bottle labels, and six 5oz glasses for packaging your hot sauces. This company is great, because they also have a variety of other DIY kits you can do for low prices.  For example, kombucha or bubble tea, mason jar herb gardens, mochi ice cream kits, chinese dumping kits, and so many more!

Have fun with your creations and tag us @hercampuscua on instagram to show us what you made! 

Bridie is a sophomore Philosophy student at Catholic U. She enjoys yoga, traveling, and anything tea related.
Rachel is the campus correspondent and a Junior media and communications major/theology minor at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. She enjoys coffee, writing, and riding electric scooters around the city. Ideally, she would love to work as a broadcast journalist and columnist in the near future.