Chrissy Russo: Future Lawyer & Missed Alum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

What’s harder than juggling five classes, a part-time waitressing job, extracuriculars, and having a social life? Law. Freaking. School. I, for one, could never do it, but then again law stuff just isn’t my thing. However, this week’s CUCeleb has been juggling it for the past year and a half and has been killin’ it. Maybe I am a bit biased because she is a dear friend of mine (a “Big” sister if you will…), but whenever I think of the special time of year that is upon us this week, I think of her. Homecoming, Cardinal Week, call it what you will, this girl has given me some of the best CUA homecoming memories, so why not check in on such a fun-loving CUAlum?

Name: Chrissy Russo
Hometown: Allentown, Pennsylvania (But forever a NJ girl) 
Current Residence: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Undergrad Major/Minor(s): Psychology; Spanish & Philosophy Minors 

HC: Hi! So can you tell Her Campus a little bit about yourself? What keeps you busy and going these days? What are your hobbies/likes/dislikes/etc?
CR: I am 23 years old, and I am a second-year law student at Villanova University School of Law. I spend my days reading cases, performing legal research, writing judicial opinions, my law journal and appellate briefs. I relieve my extremely-high stress level by going to the gym 5-6 times a week. And of course, you’ll find me at the local bar on occasion, but what law student wouldn’t be there? I’m a go-getter, over-thinker and a perfectionist. Quite frankly, the only dislike I can think of right now is this 40-page appellate brief that I still have not finished perfecting…go figure. 

HC: What have you been up to since you graduated in 2014?
CR: Prior to embarking my journey to earn my juris doctorate degree, I was awarded the opportunity to intern for a real estate firm near my parent’s home. I knew immediately that was not what I wanted to do, but, hey, that’s what internships are for, right? In between my first and second years of law school, I interned for a Criminal Court judge who was the greatest mentor. She validated my desire to practice criminal law. (P.S. saying this really does sound like I have no life…) Outside of law school, I did get to surround myself with non-law students bartending at a local restaurant! 

HC: What was it like to transition from CUA to Law School?
CR: I adapt to change very easily, so I didn’t find the transition from undergraduate to law school to be too difficult. The most eye-opening about the transition was definitely the academic atmosphere. The structure of the classes was very different: you get “cold-called on” where you feel like you’re the only one the professor is lecturing. In addition, you can feel the competitiveness around you as opposed to the warm, social feeling in college. 

HC: Was the switch from Dayton to Villanova hard? 
CR: In some ways, yes. First off, I thought I was superwoman and decided to max out my credit hours (bad idea), but I absolutely love my professors and classes. I also love being back on the east coast and so close to a big city. However, I miss my Dayton friends sooooo much. I am so blessed to have flourished friendships with wonderful people. They make saying good-bye so hard, yet, when I visit them, it feels like I never left. That’s the definition of true friendship. It’s been hard without them, but everyone here at Villanova is so friendly. 

HC: Besides classes, what else do you do with your spare time?
CR: Going to the gym is one of my main priorities; it keeps me sane. Other than that, I don’t really have much spare time, especially this semester. Law students procrastinate work by being productive for another class…that’s so sad. Last year, my friends and I would get wings & bar hop when we had the opportunity. That was our ideal night out. 

HC: What do you miss most about CUA?CR: I miss having a life ha ha ha. Actually, I really miss walking from building to building to and from class knowing I would see a familiar face. I loved the frequent change of scenery on that beautiful campus! 

HC: Will you be making it to homecoming? If not, what will you miss most about it?
CR: I’m still not sure if my schedule will allow for a trip to Homecoming; however, if it doesn’t, I’m just going to miss being around everyone again. 

HC: Do you have any favorite homecoming memories?
CR: To be honest, my favorite homecoming memory would include embarrassing a dear friend. I don’t think she’d appreciate that… (she told me to include a winky face next to this comment, I wonder who it could be about…)

HC: What was your favorite thing you did at CUA? Favorite club or event?CR: My favorite event was (and still is) Relay for Life, and I loved being a part of the committee. So many people have been affected by cancer and it’s wonderful to be a part of an organization that does everything possible to find a cure. 

HC: If you could give advice to the CUA Her Campus readers, what would you say?CR: “You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Aim high. Behave honorably. Prepare to be alone at times, and to endure failure. Persist! The world needs all you can give.” -E.O. Wilson. 
Nothing worth having comes easy. Hard work pays off, and it’s super rewarding to see your results in the long run. For example, I know my life is extremely monotonous right now, but I cannot wait to see “Esquire” after my name and be reminded every day of my perseverance, drive, and dedication. Best of luck to all you girls!

Ugh, could she get more perfect? Probably not. Even though we’ll miss her at the Alumni tent at Homecoming, I know I’ll be enjoying a drink and wishing she was there to share it with me. And maybe I’ll have a drink for her too…sounds like she could use one.

Having come a long way from her freshman year as an"exploratory" major living in Centennial Village, Kelly loves Catholic University just as much as she did when she moved onto campus in August 2012. She has since declared a major in Media & Communication Studies, has fallen in love with her friends at CUA, and has found Washington D.C. another place to call home. In addition to being a Her Campus CUA contributor,  Kelly is also part of Catholic's Redline A Cappella, and is a Sister of Kappa Tau Gamma Sorority. Kelly hopes that Her Campus will help her connect better with the CUA community, and help her to perfect her writing skills before she graduates in May.