samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

CAREER TAKEOVER: Do’s & Don’ts I Learned From My First Big-Girl Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

“Internship.” What does that even mean? I don’t think I actually realized what it was till I was told that maybe I should consider looking into different summer internship programs instead of going back to my usual summer job as a camp counselor. During my sophomore year, I toured an advertising agency where I fell in love with the idea of working or interning there. Some hard work, persistence, and a year or so later, I landed the my first big time internship with one of the top advertsing agencies in Philadelphia. Needless to say, I was stoked. 

However, coming out of the program this past summer, my image of what I thought I would be doing as an intern had completely changed; in fact, my entire view of the agency had changed. Not because it was a bad internship or that I didn’t like the agency, but because my expectations did not match up with reality. More importantly, I discovered that maybe advertising just wasn’t my thing. For a little while I felt discouraged that I was now promted to look into other possible career paths, it also helped me to learn some pretty big “do’s” and “don’ts” of having my first big-girl internship. 

I am happy that I got to learn these lessons for myself, but I wish I had been given some more advice or direction with the whole getting-an-internship process or even what to expect as an intern. Well my fellow female collegiates, here are some things I learned from my past two summer internships that might help you figure out this whole internship/getting-a-partial-adult-job business. 

Applying for internships: DO perfect your resume, and ask for a couple pairs of eyes to look it over with you.

When I started looking at summer internship programs, I realized I didn’t even have a resume…or what was supposed to go on a resume. (You mean, I can’t just walk into the office and beg them to hire me?!) Fear not, because any adult you know who is employed at a real-person job has one, and has probably gone through or seen their fair share of resumes. I first went to CUA’s career center to help with my resume construction. However, that should not be the end of you resume-creating process! Ask one and all to look it over. For example, I asked my mom to look at my shiny new resume, to which she told me to redo the entire thing…and she was right. Soon after, I forwarded my said (redone) resume to other family members, possible mentors, and family friends who were familiar with advertising and would be able to help me tweak it before submitting it with my internship application. Resumes have specific construction and writing that go into them, so make sure you get yours looked over a few times before hitting the “attach” button on an internship app.

DO apply early and often.

When I first started looking into summer internships, I set my expectations unreasonably high. Maybe it was because I thought I had an automatic in, or maybe it was pure excitement, but I thought I would for sure get a position at the agency. Though I did everything right, I had a rude awakening come April when the agency still had not gotten back to me about the position, and I was starting to get asked, “so what are you doing this summer?” When you finally decide that you might want to go the internship route for the summer, apply to a BUNCH of programs. Research different companies, nonprofits, ask around about possible intern positions you might be interested in, and apply to a generous handful of them. Though I was lucky in the end to have gotten a different part-time internship close to home that summer, I wish I had known to apply to a variety of programs earlier.

DO use your connections.

Connections. Are. Everything. Seriously, they’re huge. Odds are that your Mom/Dad/Cousin/Professor/Neighbor/etc. knows someone who works in the industry that you are interested in and a lot of times, people are more than happy to help set you up with a friend for coffee. Maybe they can’t necessarily get you a guaranteed internship, but it never hurts to sit down and get advice from someone who knows their job and knows what a potential employer is looking for. I have been on quite a few coffee/lunch meetings where I have gotten some great advice, have gotten inspired, and best case scenario, made a connection with someone who could pull some strings for me in the future. Sure, it may be weird emailing a stranger asking for career advice, but you would be surprised how many people love to talk about their jobs and how they got to where they are. So go ahead, email so-and-so who knows your sister’s best friend’s brother, they might be able to set you up with a sweet future job.

DO persist.

When I first applied for my dream internship, they told me I didn’t get the position because they wanted someone with a little more experience. Well, that’s annoying, ’cause I totally had my heart set on them! They told me I did a great job, and to reapply the next summer. I still felt a little rejected, but I decided to take what they said to heart and try again a year later. I got the internship position the second time around, after I had gotten some actual internship experience under my belt. If you really love a certain company or position, don’t give up after the first try! If you apply again at a different time, odds are they will remember you and realize that you really do want to work for them. It makes the employer feel flattered, and it gives you a leg up on the competition.

DO send thank you notes.

Whether its after an actual interview or just casual coffee with a possible mentor, you better break out the stationary and your prettiest handwriting. Handwritten notes are SO underrated when it comes to getting an internship. If someone is trying to help you get a job, they are taking time out of their day/ possibly cutting in on their happy hour time to talk to you. They didn’t need to help you out, but they did anyway, and a simple handshake and verbal “thank you” probably isn’t enough to make them feel better about missing a few half-priced margaritas. Sending a quick “thanks for taking the time out of you day to talk to me/interview me” note could be the difference between an employer picking you or the other candidate who didn’t send them a thank you note. It’s annoying, sure, but its important. 

Okay so you got the internship, now what?

DO dress to impress. 

I was not accustom to the real-pants-wearing life style that comes with getting a big girl internship. This means no, you cannot wear leggings to a professional environment. Tragic,yes, but it doesn’t have to be all bad! Invest in a few key pieces in your wardrobe that you can mix and match for work. Looking professional, polished, and adorable will show to your employer that you mean business…and that you have great style. Also, invest in a blazer. They make almost everything look fresh and professional. You’ll thank me later.

DON’T expect to be treated like a full-time employee.

Even in the most causal of environments, when it boils down to it, you are still an intern. At my first internship, I was treated like an important/equal part of the enterprise. When I got to the other agency the following next summer, I realized that would pretty much never be the case again as long as I was an intern. The agency made it clear that the work we would do as interns was client work and that it was important; but at the end of the day, I was still the one who made all copies of handouts before meetings (i.e. the paper b*tch). At first this really frustrated me—no, I wasn’t being asked to pick up someone’s dry cleaning or anything like that, but I still felt inferior sometimes. I realized that, like most things in life, it is about seniority and that I would work my way up eventually, but that I shouldn’t take it personally. The good news is that hopefully you and your other intern friends can talk about it and bond over your shared office-b*tch duties over happy hour after work…nothing like bonding over half-priced alcohol to help you make friends at the office.

DO ask questions.

It may feel super weird and dorky asking your superiors or supervisors a lot of questions about assignments but don’t feel weird about it. The great part about an internship is that being an intern implies that you are still learning. Each business does things differently, so never be afraid to clarify with your boss about what they might want on a certain assignment. It shows that you not only care about the work you are doing, but also that you want to learn and improve for the future. 

DON’T get discouraged if the program doesn’t match your original expectations.

After my summer internship came to a close this past August, I couldn’t help but feel distraught. I had thought that it would be so amazing, and that working at an esteemed agency would give me the chance to get an even better job in the advertising industry in the future. Until I realized…I don’t like advertising. At least not PR. I had told myself that I would be good at that kind of job and that I would like it but it turned out it just wasn’t for me—it wasn’t what I thought it would be. I wouldn’t have realized that unless I had gotten the chance to actually work in public relations. After weeks of confusion I realized that I was actually happy to have had that summer internship experience because it helped me to understand what I do and don’t want out of a future job and career. For example, I realized I do want to work on a team with other driven and excited colleagues, but I don’t want to work with excel or work in a cubicle every day. I am so happy I figured those things out in an internship rather than a full-time job. Even though its my senior year, I at least know I want to go in a different direction. It is so important that you try out different programs at different companies in different positions to get that real life experience; its not until you get those experiences that you realize what your dream job might really look like. 

So go ahead — start your research and start emailing around asking people about connections! Though the word “internship” might sound scary, it doesn’t have to be. Coming out of each internship you have, you’ll have more real-world experience, a better idea of what you want out of a career, and even some new friends. And remember, the beauty of an internship is that its only for a certain amount of time. It’s not like you have to be a full-time adult…yet.

Having come a long way from her freshman year as an"exploratory" major living in Centennial Village, Kelly loves Catholic University just as much as she did when she moved onto campus in August 2012. She has since declared a major in Media & Communication Studies, has fallen in love with her friends at CUA, and has found Washington D.C. another place to call home. In addition to being a Her Campus CUA contributor,  Kelly is also part of Catholic's Redline A Cappella, and is a Sister of Kappa Tau Gamma Sorority. Kelly hopes that Her Campus will help her connect better with the CUA community, and help her to perfect her writing skills before she graduates in May.