Campus Celebrities and Co-Correspondents of HCCUA : Katherine Baxter and Caroline Ware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Tell us a little about yourselves.

Caroline: I am currently a Junior Marketing Major finishing up my first semester. I love living in Washington, D.C and exploring the city lifestyle. I also currently work at an Irish Pub on North Capital Street. It’s a blast, we always have entertaining customers that make the work day fun!

Katherine: I grew up in Winchester Mass, a little suburb about 15 minutes north of Boston. I am 20 years old and a junior marketing major here at CUA.  I work as a waitress on Capitol Hill with Caroline. I love my dogs, to read, practice yoga, and eat anything with cheese on it in my free time.

How are you involved at CUA?

Caroline: At CUA, I currently CO-run Her Campus CUA Chapter. I am also apart of the Business School and attend a lot of guest speakers who come to campus. Going to Career Services is one of my favorite things that CUA offers, they have helped me a ton with resumes and intern research.

Katherine: To be completely honest, I’m not very involved with extracurricular activities here at CUA, and not from lack of effort. That is partially what motivated the desire to start Her Campus CUA. I tried a variety of clubs my freshman and sophomore year, yet none of them really clicked. I love to be involved, and before Her Campus, I felt like something was missing, mostly because I wasn’t contributing to anything that I believed bettered, or tried to better the life of the everyday student here at Catholic.

What is something unique about yourself?

Caroline: I was a dancer for 17 years of my life and a dance teacher for 4 years. Now I love going to dance shows and musicals. It’s my guilty pleasure!

Katherine: I had emergency kidney surgery when I was 16; except for a lazy kidney, I’m completely fine, but it was a dramatic few weeks!

What is your favorite thing about D.C.?

Caroline: I love how we have a metro stop right on campus. It makes it so easy to get into the city and explore. Going into the city there are always a new restaurant, bar, or place to get brunch. You never know what you will run into!

Katherine: Opportunity. I feel like at every turn there’s a new opportunity for me, whether it’s a new job, interview for an internship, exploring the monuments and museums, or the discovery of a new amazing restaurant, I feel like DC always has something to teach me and it’s a really awesome feeling.

What are your plans for next semester?

Caroline: Next semester I am staying in D.C and am going to continue running Her Campus CUA and working at The Dubliner. Also I will be focusing on my business classes and applying for internships for the summer!

Katherine: Next semester I will be spending it abroad in Barcelona with a few close friends. I couldn’t be more excited about the adventure that’s about to unfold before me, I’ll be sure to update Her Campus readers with everything I learn and discover abroad!

Why did you decided to start Her Campus at CUA?

Caroline: Over the sumer I was introduced to the Her Campus  website and fell in love with it. I started exploring the website and saw that we could bring it to CUA, so I mentioned the idea to Katherine and she agreed it would be a great addition to our school. We decided to apply and were lucky enough to be accepted! We decided Her Campus would be great to bring to CUA because we don’t have anything like it here. With Her Campus we are able to speak our minds about events that are happening around campus and share about how much we love CUA!

Katherine: Caroline originally proposed the idea to me over the summer. Immediately, I fell in love with it. As I mentioned before, I really wanted to belong to an organization at CUA that I was passionate about and before Her Campus, that wasn’t happening. I knew so many girls with loads of creativity that didn’t have an outlet for it, like Her Campus, and so when Caroline told me about it, I was all for it.

What are you hoping for the future of Her Campus CUA?

Caroline: In the future we are hoping to make Her Campus a huge deal on campus. We would love to be able to host events and have guest speakers come to campus and talk to future business women. We think that Her Campus CUA will become a positive impact on our campus. 

Katherine: I am hoping to bring together women of CUA who are looking of a place to manifest their originality, creativity, and independence. I hope Her Campus CUA grows and more and more people read it and more and more women contribute to it. Not only is it a great place to discuss current events about CUA and the world, it’s inspiring to talk about things that actually matter with intelligent women your age, it certainly helps me make sense of issues I face while navigating through life as a new adult. 

A HUGE thank you to these ladies for bringing Her Campus to CUA!