5 Ways to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

On Sunday, March 13 Washington, D.C. kicked off a week of celebrations with the 45th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, with CUA’s own President Garvey as grand marshall. 

For the rest of the month of March, the Embassy of Ireland, Catholic U., and D.C. bars will be hosting a variety of events to celebrate Irish heritage. 

Here are five events throughout the city to help you embrace your inner Irishman.

1. “Lost Revolution? The Abbey Rebels of Easter 1916” – Tuesday, 3/15

St. Patrick’s Day isn’t all about drinking. During Easter week 100 years ago, Irish republicans mounted an armed insurrection to end British rule and establish an independent Irish Republic. In commemoration of the centennial, CUA is hosting a series of lectures to inform students about various aspects of Ireland’s history.  This lecture will be In McMahon 201 at 6 p.m.

2. Ri’ Ra’ Irish Pub – Wednesday, 3/16

Ri’ Ra’ Irish Pub in Georgetown is hosting St. Patrice Day, a “warm up” to the main event.  Ri’ Ra’ will offer $5 pints of Guinness all day long!

3. St. Patrick’s Day Pub Crawl – Thursday, 3/17

Today is the day! Get decked out in green and head to Dupont Circle for a night of drinking suspiciously green beer and practicing your Irish dancing. This pub crawl includes 20 participating bars with great drink specials. 

4. Shamrock Crawl – Saturday, 3/19

If you somehow missed Thursday’s celebrations, no worries! Take a trip to Arlington, VA for the Shamrock Crawl from 1-9 p.m for shamrock specials. 

5. Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme – Monday, 3/21

Round out your week of drinking with some entertianment! As a continuation of the centenary program, CUA is hosting a staged reading of Irish playwright, Frank McGuinness’s play at the on campus Callan Theatre at 7 p.m.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

*Celebrate responsibly

After traveling through Europe for five months, Michaela is back in Washington, D.C. to finish her English degree at CUA.  Michaela loves her job as a Writing Center tutor and as Redline A Cappella's social media guru and business president. A breakfast enthusiast, Michaela spends her weekends roaming around D.C. in search of the next great brunch spot. In her free time she can be found in the city looking for adventures, reading Gothic literature, watching Parks & Recreation, and sipping margaritas.