This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

The Love Hypothesis

By, Ali Hazelwood

Genre: Romance

Favorite quote: “Carry yourself with the confidence of a mediocre white man.”

If you like fake-dating, science, and a little bit of *spice* you will love this book! It also revolves around what it is like to be a woman in STEM, and the struggles many women face in academic settings. Even if you have nothing to do with STEM (like me) it still is a really cute story to read and will have you wanting an Adam Carlisle in your life.

image 1

Daisy Jones and the Six

By, Taylor Jenkins Reid

Genre: Historical fiction

Favorite quote: “All I will say is that you show up for your friends on their hardest days. And you hold their hand through the roughest parts. Life is about who is holding your hand and, I think, whose hand you commit to holding.” 

Daisy Jones and the Six is written in interview style and follows a fictional 70’s rock band and the complicated relationship between two of its members. The author was inspired by Fleetwood Mac and the tumultuous romance between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. It is a really interesting book, with a bit of a twist at the end! Also, it is currently being adapted into a tv show that will be out sometime this year!

image 2

Beach Read

By, Emily Henry

Genre: Romance

Favorite quote: “Here’s the thing about writing Happily Ever Afters: it helps if you believe in them.” 

I know this seems like a book that isn’t very fit for fall, but it is the perfect romance for any season. It involves two writers; one who always writes happy endings, and the other who writes the opposite. It deals with grief, changing your perspective, and finding your own happy ending. Emily Henry is one of my favorite authors, and if you end up liking this story, “Book Lovers” is another great one to read!

image 3

The Inheritance Games

By, Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Genre: Mystery

Favorite quote: “Everything’s a game, Avery Grambs. The only thing we get to decide in this life is if we play to win.” 

Imagine getting called out of class one day to be told you have inherited a multi-billion dollar fortune from a man you had never met. That is exactly what happens to Avery Grambs in The Inheritance Games. This book is  full of riddles, puzzles, and secrets. There is also some romance and the classic “will they, won’t they” trope which is my personal fav! There are three books in the series, and a lot of plot twists, which keeps you coming back for more!

image 4

A Court of Thorns and Roses (Series)

By, Sarah J. Maas

Genre: Fantasy

Favorite quote: “Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don’t feel anything at all.” 

During my Sophomore year, I went through a bit of a reader’s block, and couldn’t finish any of the books I started. But when I began reading A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) I finished the first book in a day! The fantasy world of Prythian sucks you in, and is action-packed. I also really like that you learn about Prythian alongside Feyre, the main character, so it’s easier to understand what is going on. I can’t say much else without spoiling a major plotline, but I love, love, love this series! It’s  also being adapted into a TV show for Hulu!

image 4

Hi! I'm Caroline Chaney and I attend the Catholic University of America, located in Washington, D.C. I am a Sociology major with a minor in Politics and I love reading, listening to 70's music, and spending time with family and friends :)