Your Guide To Buff Up The Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As a school of highly athletic and fit students, CU needs a large gym with a lot of features. Over the past several years students expressed complaints that the equipment was old and the gym was largely outdated. Considering that the last addition to The Rec happened in 1990, the building was definitely due for a facelift. Last year CUSG responded to student concerns by passing a bill to Buff Up The Rec, a massive construction project to totally redo the gym. The project is awesome but what does that mean for students right now? I’d like to clear up some questions and raise excitement for the spectacular new facility we’ll have soon.

When will the entire project be finished?

If the construction continues on track, it will be done by April 2014.

How much is this going to cost?

The project itself is costing close to $130 million. Luckily, CU is a large school and has plenty of students to carry the cost. Student fees will be going up from $98 to $125 per semester. These fees will continue for 25 years to pay off the bonds used to fund the project.

What’s going to change?

Outside, one of the biggest changes will be an outdoor pool in the shape of a buffalo. Inside, the available weight and cardio spaces are going to be expanded. This area will take up 3 levels and provide brand-new cardio and free-weight equipment. The climbing wall will also be expanded into 2-stories with differing terrain. Lastly, a Wellness Center will provide space for a massage studio, health screenings, and yoga/Pilates classes. The Ice Rink and Outdoor Tennis Court will also be replaced.

How long until we see major changes?

Until near December 2013. The indoor competition pool and ice rink will close in May 2013 and be reconstructed over the summer. Both will open in August 2013, followed by the re-opening of the Climbing Wall in September 2013.

What do we do in the meantime?

Currently, the General Gym is housing all cardio and weight equipment. Complaints from students include not enough machines and the feeling of general clutter. The women’s locker room is still open, featuring weights, machines, and several ellipticals. 

I'm a 21 year old English and Psychology major. I spent last summer interning at Cosmopolitan Magazine and I'm currently trying to figure out the direction I want to take after graduation. I love writing and I love marketing, so probably a fusion of the two. Sushi, hard cider, and bad horror movies are my weaknesses. I'm also a trivia badass.
Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.