Why You Should Rush Greek Life Even If You Don’t Think It’s For You – A Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Dear Freshman Tracy,

To preface, I was in a sorority for only one semester during my freshman year. I learned a lot about myself and others. I also learned to love, to honor and to be truthful. 

Fun College Sorority Girls With Flannels
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

I grew up in a Caucasian dominant area- much like Boulder. I heard the good and the bad about Greek life. No one in my family has ever been a part of Greek life. In attempts to be unlike my family, I decided to rush because why not. It’s not going to hurt anything but my bank account. However, you can always pay back the money, but not experience. 

I am not blonde, I am not white. I am Vietnamese and have black hair. A rare sight in sororities if you look around.  Most people may join a sorority for their status or quick friends. At first, that was true for me. I wanted a different experience than I had in high school. I was never in the popular crowd or partied. I had a small group of friends that I stuck with throughout middle school and high school. I was content, but maybe now college is my chance to be a part of that popular crowd. I envisioned getting so reckless no one could control me. That wasn’t the case. It wasn’t just my strict parents, it’s just who I am. 

So my advice as to why I think you should join a sorority:

1. You quickly learn what you like or don’t like. 

2. You’ll meet people you wouldn’t typically meet and experience their culture. 

3. You open a new door for opportunities 

4. You are encouraged to go out of your comfort zone 

5. You’ll make at least one friend.

Bid Day 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
It’s always “ways to join our organization” never “ways to leave.” No student organization is going to promote that. I’m here to say that it isn’t as intimidating as executives and headquarters make it out to be. While you’re in the sorority, I recommend cutting out the fake fluff. Stop acting fake, just to get people to like you. That’s not how this works. Be uniquely you! You’ll figure out the people you vibe with. If you figure out you like the sorority life, great! Stick with it and be glad you rushed because guess what, you tried something new that you didn’t think was for you. If you figure out this life isn’t for you, also great! You still found some friends to keep connected with and now you can move on. Personally, I’ve met great girls. I’m the closest with three and one is my roommate. Now I’m moving on to finding another organization that fits where I belong. Onto another adventure… 

Welcome to college, where trial and error and trial and success are equally celebrated! 

LIOB, 

Sophomore Tracy

Tracy Huynh

CU Boulder '23

Tracy is a sophomore at the Leeds School of Business. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching Netflix and going shopping. If she is not studying, she can be found with a fuzzy blanket and fuzzy socks in bed or in the home decor section of any store daydreaming.
Sko Buffs!