This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’ve never had much of an interest in fashion. I am totally clueless about the latest trends, but in the past few years I have made an effort to put a little more thought into what I wear. My main focus is finding clothes that I feel confident and comfortable in, without draining my bank account. The perfect way to do this is to shop secondhand—a good portion of my wardrobe is made up of clothes from thrift stores, Plato’s Closet, and even my friends’ hand-me-downs. Here are a few reasons why I prefer to get my clothes second hand.

you can get clothes for a fraction of the price that they would be new.

Obviously, buying clothes second-hand usually costs a fraction of the price of buying new. I’m a college student, and quite honestly, most of the spare money I have goes toward food and coffee. Buying clothes secondhand has been a lifesaver for my wallet, and most of the time, the clothing quality is just as good as new. Sometimes people even donate clothes that have never been worn, so you’re buying the exact same thing as a chain store for a fraction of the price.

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons - Find & Share on GIPHY
you’ll reduce your carbon footprint.

The clothing industry is a major contributor to pollution and global warming. This process of mass-produced clothing being sold at a low price by manufacturers, known as “fast fashion,” is a huge problem. Buying clothes second-hand is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and avoid contributing to fast fashion.

Vintage Thrifting GIF by CasualBayVintage - Find & Share on GIPHY
you can find items for a one-time outfit.

I needed a leather jacket for my Halloween costume last year, and I didn’t want to spend $50+ buying something I knew I’d only wear once. I found one at my local thrift shop for less than $20. If you need a staple for your closet that you’ll wear all the time, it may be worth buying it new, but thrift stores can really come in handy if you need something for just one event or outfit.

you can buy more than just clothes.

Most stores that sell second-hand clothes sell other things like books, furniture, or cooking supplies. Even stores like Plato’s Closet sell snacks, sunglasses, phone cases, and more. You can find some pretty unique things at thrift stores, making your shopping experience even more fun.

Dog Food Puppy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Overall, buying second-hand clothes is a great way to save both money and the planet. Plus, you can find some great pieces that you’d never find at a chain store. Next time you’re looking for clothes, be sure to check your local thrift store before buying new.

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.