Why Getting Your First Tattoo on a Whim is Actually a Great Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I got my first tattoo on a random Thursday with my two best friends and it was the best experience ever!

Ever since I turned 18 years old I have continually said that I wanted to get a tattoo, but I was always too chicken to do it. The idea of having a needle poke your skin several hundred times was not all that appealing to me, but I still really wanted to get one. Now, three years after coming of age, I finally took the dive and got my first tattoo. 

I always text images of tattoos I want to my friends and one day about two weeks ago, I decided to do just that. My best friend said that we might as well do it and I said yes almost as a joke. I was sure I wanted a tattoo, but I wasn’t sure about when the right time was to do so. 

The next day she called me saying that she made an appointment at Rising Tide Tattoo Emporium for us to get the design I had sent the day before. I was initially terrified, but I was so busy that day that I didn’t have much time to actually think about it.

The time to get the tattoo rolled around and I was surprisingly calm. I laid down on the bed and prepared myself for the pain that I thought was going to be so horrible. When the artist started it wasn’t even that bad, and that’s when I realized that the worst part of getting a tattoo was just the anticipation of it all. 

People always say that getting tattoos is incredibly painful, but the reality of it is that not everyone feels pain the same way. Even though getting a tattoo will likely be at least a little painful, the hype behind it is truly what makes the whole process so scary. I got my tattoo on my ribs and felt as if my pain was a three out of ten, whereas my friend who got the same thing in the same place said her pain was a six out of ten. It’s impossible to know exactly how you will feel until you do it.

As I said before, the worst part of the whole experience was waiting for it to actually happen. Anticipation is the worst thing in the world and it can really make the whole experience hard. That is why I think getting a tattoo on a whim is the best choice.

I’m not saying to randomly just decide to get a tattoo; you have to be sure you want it first, but be spontaneous as to when you get it done. Planning so far ahead can make the whole experience really nerve wracking and scary. So, be spontaneous on timing, but be positive that you want to get a tattoo!

Jordan Smith

CU Boulder '22

Hi my name is Jordan! I am a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, double majoring in communication and journalism. I love to read and write and am so excited to be working with Her Campus!