Career

Why Front Desk Jobs are the Best Jobs on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Fall of 2022 has been kicking everyone’s ass. As a senior, it’s been ages since I’ve taken an in-person test, and the rigor of my classes has NOT been helping. However, I found a way to be employed, help the CU community, and not kill myself in the process — my front desk job. Here are some reasons why you should consider getting one as well. 

You can do homework.

The worst part about school is homework. Learning the material is the good part about college, and homework is the little sister that you kind of learn to tolerate (I am the youngest child). But doing it in a setting where you have to sit there and concentrate for the most part has been a blessing to my academic career. Most jobs carve time out of your schedule, but front desk jobs let you multitask.

It won’t interfere with your busy life.

On top of being able to do homework, front-desk jobs have the perk of being less demanding. CU Boulder only employs students up to 10 hours a week and works around your schedule. I’ve had instances where I had to pick between a shift and a midterm when I worked in fast-food (I quit on the spot, lol) so a more understanding work environment is such a blessing.

People are nice.

Interacting with front-desk workers tends to be optional, so most people you talk to are in a good mood. College students also tend to be understanding. Many jobs geared toward college students tend to be front-facing but this one has the best customers.

You can network.

Have you ever heard that your GPA and classes won’t get you as far as networking will? Many people I know have gotten really lucrative internships and full-time jobs based on the networking they did throughout college, and working at a front desk gives you a lot of opportunities to chat with professors and upperclassmen. I think I’ve made dozens of friends since I started my job this semester, so that’s a win-win.

It serves the community.

While an entire campus being run by robots would be pretty sick, we aren’t there yet, and we all benefit from the hard work student-staff put into this campus. Anything from working at the C4C to being a TA helps, but I’m 99% sure that working at a front desk is the best way to give back to CU Boulder.

You can put it on your resume.

Especially the department-specific ones make you look involved, which is definitely something companies look for in candidates. 

Working at a front-desk position is one of the best college life hacks, so you should definitely consider it!

Maya Douglas

CU Boulder '22

Maya is a senior at CU Boulder studying computer science and philosophy. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music on campus or going out with her friends.