Wellness > Mental Health

“When You Change The Way You Look At Things, The Things You Look At Change” – How To Better Integrate Gratitude Into Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

(Quote by Wayne Dyer)

When I was younger, I didn’t quite understand the value of simplicity; the only things that were of value to me were owning lots of clothes, making lots of friends, and having lots of places to travel to. Much of my happiness depended on what was outside of me, not what was within me. 

I’m not sure what exactly was responsible for my shift in attitude – perhaps it was the very feat of getting older – but I was walking across campus last August listening to Emma Chamberlain’s podcast episode “a happy & healthy life” and felt that my newfound affinity for little wonders was perfectly epitomized by something she said. As I turned past the chemistry building, I resonated with her words: “If you live a more simple life, you might get excited about the small things more than somebody who has an extravagant life. Someone who is constantly traveling and maybe has a lot of money, you know, they might not get excited about somebody in line at a coffee shop paying for their drink on a random Wednesday. Someone who has a more simple life might be able to find joy in more things.” I felt both softened by the observation and motivated to more consciously recognize virtue in each of life’s cracks and crevices. Slowly, gratitude became a top priority of mine, and here are some things you can do to follow suit:

1. Journal.

Writing down how you feel and what you’re grateful for is one of the best ways to reduce stress and help you permanently adopt a more sensitive perspective of the world. The goal here is not to convince yourself that you need to regard everything with positivity and grace all of the time, but it will help you differentiate between things that are adding value to your life and things that are subtracting value. 

1. Spend time alone.

I truly believe that alone time is the ultimate reset and the only way to fully be in tune with your surroundings. It’s a great way to break away from the needs, opinions, and interests of your peers; if you create a space for solitude, you can get to know yourself again, re-evaluate what you value in life, and grow as a person. It will shed unnecessary layers of complexity from your worldview and help you recognize the merit in the little things. 

1. Limit noise.

This method goes hand-in-hand with spending time alone but awards the concept of a greater level of discipline and purpose. Whether it be going on a walk without listening to music, toning down materialism, distancing yourself from friends who no longer serve you, choosing to not consume fruitless content on the internet, or making it a goal to stop voicing judgments or complaints, it will become a lot easier to be appreciative of the things that you keep close to you. 

1. Make something.

Finding a creative outlet is essential because it awards you a sense of fulfillment and improves self-efficacy all-around, which will allow gratitude to come into your routine more naturally. Knowing that you are capable of putting something out into the world will convince you that the world is also capable of giving something back to you. My favorite mediums are painting, photography, and creative writing, but you can also try music, theater, fashion and/or film. 

1. Make it known. 

Be grateful outwardly! This is the best thing to do if you’re having trouble believing that there actually is goodness all around. Call your friends to tell them you love them, write your roommate a sweet note, and turn your apologies into acknowledgments (ie. Instead of saying “Sorry I’m late,” try “Thank you for waiting.”). 

Recognizing things to be grateful for is vital to a fulfilled and balanced life. By following these small steps, you’ll be able to eventually shift your entire mindset and improve the overall quality of your well-being. 

Sydney is a contributing writer and editor for Her Campus (CU Boulder). She joined Her Campus during her first semester of freshman year and has enjoyed writing about entertainment, issues uniting the nation and personal experiences. She loves getting to empower women to explore their voices and contribute their insights. Sydney is currently a junior majoring in strategic communication and pursuing minors in journalism and creative writing. She is a Norlin Scholar, an active member of PRSSA and interned with Renewable Energy Systems' marketing department over the summer. Following undergrad, she hopes to combine her passions for creative writing, public relations strategy and clean energy to ensure a brighter future for upcoming generations. While she's not writing or studying, you can find her playing music, attending concerts around Denver, shooting senior portraits, hiking at Chautauqua or spending time with her family. She hopes to publish a novel someday.