Life > Experiences

What You Shouldn’t Wear/Bring to CU Football Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Maybe you’ve never been super into school spirit nor attended many high school football games. Maybe you’re like me and didn’t even have football in high school. Maybe you simply weren’t expecting the lengthy duration and intensity of a CU Boulder football game. Whatever the case, here’s everything you need to avoid wearing or bringing to a game.

Dresses

I saw way too many dresses at the game last weekend. I must admit you look absolutely adorable and if you’re only planning on staying for a few quarters, go for it. But, you’ve got to be aware of the possibilities of chaffing and flashing when standing in the heat for multiple hours without some form of pants on; dresses are a ticking time bomb for us girls with thick thighs. Also, if our student section ends up rushing the field again, you will certainly flash someone on your jump down. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Cowboy Boots

They are so, so adorable and totally match the midwest vibes, but you are screwing yourself over if you decide to wear your boots to the next football game. You better have the thickest socks known to man or just some really tough skin because blisters are almost a guarantee. Remember all those era tour girls who ended up walking around barefoot at the end of the night? You don’t want that to be you– especially with the spilled beer, puke, and who-knows-what on the floor.

Purses

Even if you wanted to bring a purse into Folsom, it has to be one of those small clear bags. First off, you don’t want to be carrying that around. Secondly, everyone will see the content of your bag. So, unless drunk men seeing you carry around a bag full of tampons doesn’t bother you, I would not recommend it. Lastly, you really don’t need that much stuff. You could honestly get by with your phone, Buff card, and wallet.

Disposable Cameras

It’s completely valid to crave the satisfaction of a vintage-looking game day photo, but please leave the disposable cameras at the pregame. Besides the high likelihood of it breaking from a mob of drunk fans, the pictures aren’t going to turn out that great in the sun. Maybe if it’s a night game, but even then you’re risking your $70 camera for a picture you can just take on your phone. 

Obviously, you’ll see students at the game this weekend not adhering to my well thought out rules, but you don’t have to be one of them. Follow these few guidelines, and you’ll avoid some seriously unwanted issues. Sko buffs!

Kate Paxton

CU Boulder '26

Kate Paxton is a writer and member of Her Campus Colorado University Boulder. She writes articles covering a variety of topics like wellness, college life, and films. Previously, she was an editor for her high school's newspaper The Mustang, where she oversaw the comedy section and contributed articles. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, majoring in psychology with a pre-health emphasis. In her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, binge watching sitcoms, and therapeutically cleaning her room.