Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What To Stream This Valentine’s Day If You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I have been single for a few years now, and while I can say that I am definitely very happy, I am not immune to the annoyance and sadness that can creep up on us singles on February 14th. Especially in the time of a global pandemic, I think there are more people out there spending this holiday alone than typical. Whether you are a hopeless romantic, or you could preach “love is a social construct” all day long, this holiday definitely brings up some uncomfortable emotions if you are enduring it solo. Speaking from experience, the Valentine’s Day blues can be overcome with the right movie (and maybe a glass or two of wine… ) Therefore, I have rounded up what I think are the top three things to stream if you are single this Valentine’s Day… 

Daniel Sloss’s ‘Jigsaw’ (Netflix)

If you are as big a fan of Netflix comedy specials as I am, this one’s for you. Daniel Sloss is absolutely hysterical, especially if you aren’t deterred by a little dark humor. What’s interesting about his show is he spends the second half of it giving the audience some of the best relationship advice I have ever heard. He uses the analogy of a jigsaw puzzle to explain why it is so important to be single, rather than being with the completely wrong person. This show honestly changed my perspective on dating in my 20s and I recommend giving it a watch (if only as a last resort before texting that ex you know you shouldn’t… )

Eat, Pray, Love (Netflix)

It’s a classic for a reason, people. Julia Roberts traveling around the world to find herself after her divorce is nothing short of iconic. This romcom is a definite feel-good movie and is guaranteed to make you laugh, cry, and ultimately feel a little more optimistic about single life. It also reminded me that there are different types of love that we experience in our lives, and it might take a few tries before finding the right one. Unfortunately, in the time of covid, we can’t actually live-out our post-breakup travel fantasies. So I guess we might as well watch Julia Roberts do it from the comfort of our own couches.

How To Be Single (Hulu)

How To Be Single is one of my favorite movies of all time (and not just because I’m obsessed with Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson). It is hilarious, heartwarming, and does exactly what the title implies… teaches you how to be single! Ok, I’ll admit it is not that easy, but the main character’s journey to find herself will inspire you to live your best life for yourself and yourself alone. It is a good reminder to make the most of your single life while you’re young.

Spending Valentine’s Day alone does not have to be sad or depressing. There are so many great things about being single in your 20s, and if anything, this holiday should encourage you to make the most of this time. It might remind you that you are not with the right person yet, but you could also flip your perspective and be happy that you are not with the wrong person. If you take my advice and watch any of these choices, I hope they remind you how important it is to be single, and how fun it can be too!

Alex Hazen

CU Boulder '22

Alex is a 22-year-old Senior at the University of Colorado Boulder Leeds School of Business. Her hometown is Aspen, Colorado and in her free time she loves to write, hike, ski, practice yoga, and try new food!