This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I decided to start this series a bit ago because there are so many things I’ve learned about life while in college that I want to share with anyone who is interested. Whether you’re in college, choosing which college you want to attend in the fall, about to graduate, or are at any other stage in your life, today, I want to talk about being ambitious.

Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

Be Ambitious

So often I think we get stuck with the idea that we aren’t qualified for our dreams, we aren’t ready for more responsibility, or we feel like an imposter in the roles we are trying to fill. I’ve been there too, whether it was being uncertain if I was cut out for research or uncertain about a leadership role, it happens to everyone, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get to where you need to be. In the last four years, I have learned that no matter what I think I can’t do, I often can.

eyeglasses with gray frames on the top of notebook
Photo by Dan Dimmock from Unsplash
I learned how to embrace discomfort, and pursue whatever I felt passionate about. Even if it felt scary, unknown, or I thought I was out of my depth, I decided to pursue anything I felt passionate about and that approach resulted in research projects, fellowships, mentorships, and amazing friendships that I never anticipated. Because of this, I want to encourage you to pursue whatever you want to because best case you get an amazing opportunity, worst case you get rejected and can thrive from that experience as well.

pen and paper on desk
Photo by Jess Bailey from Unsplash
One of my mentors told me that this stage in our lives is a wonderful opportunity to take risks and make mistakes, so be ambitious! Whether you take a strong academic path like I did or you discover a deep love of something you never imagined (@me learning how to embroider for fun), do what makes you happy! Ask for help if you think you’re missing skills, or completely jump into something new, but regardless don’t be afraid of the what-ifs. Apply for anything you’re interested in, apply for that fellowship completely out of your comfortable range of knowledge, email those mentors who intimidate you but will push you to grow, and see any outcome as an opportunity. You are qualified to pursue your passions, and pushing yourself to growth will show you so much more of your capabilities than you think you have.

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!