This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

2021 came in fast, and seems to be keeping that pace! As we forge ahead into February, let’s take a look at what has happened this year so far.

United Arab Emirates probe Hope set to enter Mars orbit.

The UAE’s Hope spacecraft was launched this past July and arrived at Mars this past Tuesday. The University of Colorado partnered with the UAE to build this spacecraft to study the atmosphere of Mars. It is super cool that CU students can watch this event unfold and know that their university helped the project come to fruition! Find out more about this spacecraft and its mission here.

Biden issues an executive order increasing LGBTQ nondiscrimination protections.

On January 20, 2021, President Joe Biden issued the Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation. The first sentence of this order is quite profound: “Every person should be treated with respect and dignity and should be able to live without fear, no matter who they are or whom they love”. It allows transgender people to use the bathroom or locker room that they prefer, not just the one they were previously assigned to. In sum, this executive order allows those of different gender and sexual identities to feel a better sense of belonging in public spaces. Hopefully, this executive order will allow people to feel safer about increasing their mobility within their community. Find the article here and the executive order here.

The US has deployed B-1 bombers in Norway.

The US recently deployed B-1 bombers in Norway for the first time. This is significant in that it demonstrates to Russia that the US will confront any Russian aggression, particularly in the Arctic region. As the Arctic heats up and changes at an unprecedented rate, countries will attempt to gain territory and control in this region, the US and Russia being two of those countries. By deploying these bombers, the US is showing their further commitment to containing Russian aggression. Read the full article here.

It is Very Unlikely That COVID-19 Came From a Lab.

The World Health Organization has been in Wuhan, China, trying to figure out the origin of COVID-19. They say it is extremely unlikely that it was made in a lab, and most likely came from a natural reservoir. Their next plans for action include studying how the virus was able to reach a human population. Read the full article here.

As always, the world is a fast-moving place! 

Emma Rodgers

CU Boulder '22

Currently a junior majoring in International Relations and minoring in Russian studies. When I'm not studying, you can find me in a tent or on a hiking trail!
Sko Buffs!