This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! In this historic year, I plan to go further for women in my community than a simple Instagram post commemorating this month. There are so many ways to empower the women around you, and I thought I’d share the ways I plan to this month and beyond!

Write a letter to a woman in your life.

While posting a photo on social media of you and the women that have supported you is a wonderful way to share that you feel supported by the women in your life, it is important to take a minute to show those women that they are appreciated! A handwritten letter is such a beautiful way to tell someone you love them and thank them for being the strong woman that you needed. Affirming female empowerment directly at the source is the perfect way to ensure that you will continue to get the support you need and shows someone just how appreciated they are.

Donate to organizations that support women and young girls.

There are several organizations in the Boulder area that offer support to women in need. Be it shelter, financial literacy programs, or simply a place for women to feel safe, these organizations work hard to protect the women and girls in our community. Every woman deserves to feel empowered and in control, and organizations such as The Women’s Foundation of Colorado and the Boulder Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence work hard to promote equity and protect women in Boulder. 

Support your local businesses owned by women.

Supporting local businesses is an excellent way to make a direct impact on women in the Boulder community. By supporting women in business, we make it possible for women to achieve great things within Boulder and promote the positive image of women in positions of leadership. Click here to learn more about some female-owned restaurants and businesses in Boulder!

Volunteer with organizations to help young girls in your community.

Our future is female, and our future needs role models! Volunteering with organizations such as Colorado Girl Scouts or The Boys and Girls Club connects young girls with women who can act as role models and representatives for girls in need. This Women’s History Month, consider empowering the next generation of girls to make history!

Read!

Read books about women, women’s history, and the importance of feminism. I encourage you to think beyond your own sphere of experience and consider implementing more women of color, trans-authors, and intersectional feminist literature into your library. The more we know about the female experience, according to every type of woman, the more we will be able to celebrate what womanhood means and build a more inclusive society.

While these activities may seem small, the importance of educating yourself, educating others, and celebrating women in your life is never a small feat. I hope you can challenge yourself to deepen your understanding of and connection to women within your community this month and every month. Here’s to women making history today and every day!

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.
Sko Buffs!