Want Coffee? Visit These Instead of Starbucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Like many small towns, Boulder is home to a variety of local cuisines and family-owned businesses. When Five Guys opened on The Hill three years ago, many local merchants worried about the future of local businesses. The question constantly came up, would local businesses be able to thrive?  After 7-11 opened this year, the future of corporate over local became a highly possible future. When you’re craving a between-class coffee fix, think about supporting one of these local Boulder coffee joints before heading to the local corner Starbucks.

Innisfree Poetry Bookstore and Café (1203 13th Street)

When this store opened in 2010, their future seemed daunting. Buchanan’s was right across the street and Starbucks was only a block and a half away. Despite the odds, this small poetry café has blossomed into a favorite of many. Whether you like coffee, tea, pastries, or all of the above you can surely find something delicious here. My personal favorite drink is their version of a “caramel macchiato.” The espresso has more of a kick than at Starbucks and they always manage the right balance of sweetness. They carry Conscious Coffees, an award-winning Boulder-based coffee roaster that supports Fair Trade and Organic coffee. It’s always nice to know you’re coffee tastes good and comes from a good place!

English majors may have a particular affinity to Innisfree. The store’s name comes from a poem by William Butler Yeats and they host poetry readings several nights out of each week. If you haven’t bought your books yet and are taking an English class, check them out! Many English teachers order their books through Innisfree, and the books are often sold for cheaper than at CU’s bookstores.

The Laughing Goat (1709 Pearl Street and Norlin Library): Chances are if you’ve ever pulled an all-nighter at Norlin during finals, you’ve been to The Laughing Goat. Chances also are that you haven’t made the trek to the Laughing Goat on Pearl. If so, you’re sorely missing out. Imagine everything great about the Laughing Goat in Norlin and multiply it! The baristas possess endless amounts of excitement for their job and seem to know everything there is to know about coffee. A cool, edgy atmosphere is maintained by the frequent events the store hosts. Each night hosts a different local artist or poet and tables can be hard-pressed after 8pm.

My favorite part about their coffee is the latte art. The baristas all know different designs, ranging from animals to nature scenes; I believe I once had a unicorn in my cup. If you’re looking for a super-sweet, caffeinated fix, the Venetian Cream tastes delicious. It’s like an iced coffee 2.0. With organic and fair-traded coffee ground for premium freshness, The Laughing Goat really gets how to make coffee delicious and affordable at the same time.

Buchanan’s (1301 Pennsylvania Avenue): If you like your coffee plain and without hipsters roaming, come to Buchanan’s. Unlike the artistic atmospheres of Innisfree and The Laughing Goat, Buchanan’s is a family-owned operation started in 1994. Like Innisfree, this store is conveniently located on the Hill and makes for a great between-class stop for food or drink. Food is served all day, from egg-based breakfast sandwiches to delicious sandwiches. They make a variety of coffee beverages; the variety guarantees you’ll find at least one that appeals to you. If you don’t like an ingredient, they’re always happy to substitute for you. My personal winter favorite is a large hot chocolate with peppermint syrup. The combination is perfect and instantly warms you up on a cold day! A local secret at Buchanan’s is their Sport Tea. An energy tea that wakes you up without a caffeine crash, this makes for the best hangover cure in town. 

I'm a 21 year old English and Psychology major. I spent last summer interning at Cosmopolitan Magazine and I'm currently trying to figure out the direction I want to take after graduation. I love writing and I love marketing, so probably a fusion of the two. Sushi, hard cider, and bad horror movies are my weaknesses. I'm also a trivia badass.
Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.