This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I love gifts, and I mean this in the least materialistic way possible, but there’s something so beautiful to knowing someone thought of you when they saw the said gift. There’s something even more beautiful to seeing someone’s face light up when you give them a gift. They are acts of love and friendship, but picking out the perfect one can be daunting– especially during the holidays. Don’t worry though, with this guide, you’ll have no trouble picking out the perfect gift for all of your loved ones.

Make sure it is personal.

This is the most important thing about any gift. Make sure it is personal and tailored to the person you’re giving it to. Don’t get them something you’d love, get them something they’d love. It is important to think about the taste of the person, activities they like, and their personality when picking out a gift.

Don’t put a number on it.

Does this mean spending all of your money on a gift? No, but what I’m saying is that budgets often limit your range of gift options. Go in with the mentality that you’re going to find a gift that truly speaks to that person, and go from there. It doesn’t have to be super expensive to be valuable to that person, it just has to come from the heart.

It doesn’t have to be from the store.

Gifts don’t have to come from a mall. Getting crafty and creative makes giving gifts much more fun. Bake them one of your favorite recipes, or try putting it in a jar. Paint them a picture or give them a framed one of the both of you. There are endless possibilities for DIY gifts. This is also a good idea when you’re on a budget. 

Take it to the next level.

No matter what you get the person, be sure to always take it a step further. For example, if you’ve decided on a Starbucks gift card, don’t just get them the gift card. Attach a cute card that tells the recipient what drinks you think they’d love. Make sure opening the gift is just as much an experience as the gift itself. This shows you put extra effort into it and just makes it so much better. 

Use social media to your advantage.

So you’re not sure what this person is into… lucky for you, we live in the 21st century. Check out their Instagram, (not in a creepy way) and find out what they like. It is an easy way to grasp their aesthetic and find the perfect gift. 

If you’re not sure what to get them, side with practicality.

Some people are just hard to read. That doesn’t mean they don’t deserve a gift. If someone doesn’t show their interests or happened to get all of your gift ideas on Black Friday, give them something that will make their lives better. Some cozy socks or a warm blanket, water bottles, and movie projectors are all gifts you can never go wrong with. 

Always add a card!

This is the most important part of any gift. Add a cute card reminding them that they are special to you. It makes it much more personalized, fun, and is a keepsake for time to come.

Happy gift giving! Remember not to overthink, and that it’s the thought that counts. Gift giving is quite the experience, but you are now prepared to give the best ones all season long. 

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!