This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re anything like us, you were really excited to see “Avatar: The Last Airbender” release on Netflix over the summer. We both definitely binge watched it as soon as it came out. There are a ton of iconic scenes throughout the three seasons, but we’ve compiled a list of our top ten favorite moments. Beware: there will be spoilers, so make sure to watch it before you read this article!

Zuko and Azula agni kai – B3E16

Let’s talk about how utterly perfect this scene is. The tension between the two siblings was growing for three seasons and all of it peaked during this action- packed battle scene. The blue and orange fire is so beautifully animated and watching the contrast between Azula losing her mind and Zuko finally being confident makes for one of the most unforgettable moments in the show.

Iroh and Zuko Reunited – B3E16

In one of the last episodes, Zuko returns to his Uncle Iroh, expecting him to be angry for his betrayal the last time they were together. Instead, Iroh welcomes Zuko back with open arms and unconditional love so happy that he found his way again. It’s safe to admit that we all shed a tear during this sweet moment!

Dancing Dragons – B3E12

Shortly after Aang and Zuko team up in Book 3, we see them try to re-learn firebending from the original masters: the dragons. This was the first time either of them learned that fire isn’t just destruction, but life as well. We saw Aang learn how to firebend and become a fully-trained avatar, and Zuko remember how to bend without relying on his anger to fuel him.

Toph as the blind bandit – B2E6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxMGbQpOu4

Toph is arguably the strongest Earthbender in the whole series, and her introduction episode definitely showcases it. There’s something so satisfying about seeing a young, blind girl completely destroy strong men in an earthbending competition. Quickly after this moment Toph becomes a vital member of the team and the show definitely wouldn’t be the same without her.

Last battle – B3E16

This moment is what the whole show builds up to. You watch Aang go from an irresponsible twelve year old kid to a poised and powerful avatar that is actually capable of saving the world. Watching Aang control all four elements and defeat the fire lord is one of the most rewarding moments and demonstrated just how powerful Aang really was.

Mai Betrays Azula – B3E13

In the exciting episode following Sokka and Zuko breaking their friends and family out of prison, we saw Azula’s best friends betray her for the first time, shocking both her and all of us. This was the moment that sparked Azula’s mental spiral, and reminded us that love will always be stronger than fear.

Moon spirit – B1E19/20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99Pl5Tiwqc

This is one of the first super climatic moments of the show. The idea of the ocean spirit and moon spirit being two koi fish Tui and La is honestly beautiful, and combining that with the haunting idea of the moon spirit dying and the sky turning red makes these episodes forever ingrained in my head.

Suki Teaches Sokka how to be a Kyoshi Warrior – B1E4

If you’re like us, you weren’t Sokka’s biggest fan at the beginning of Book 1 after seeing him be sexist with Katara and overall  demonstrating a lot of toxic masculinity. But early on in the series, we meet Suki and the rest of the Kyoshi warriors. They teach Sokka how to fight like both a warrior and a girl, because it is always possible to be both.

Fire nation dance party – B3E2

You spend the first two seasons thinking that all of the fire nation is evil incarnate, but this scene works to humanize the children. The music and dancing is hypnotizing, and it’s fun to see Aang and Katara’s relationship grow from what it was in the first season.

Cactus Juice…It’ll Quench Ya! – B2E11

Most of the fandom can probably agree this is one of the funniest scenes from “ATLA”. Whether you watched it for the first time as an eight-year-old or a twenty-eight-year-old, we’re sure this scene got a laugh out of you…and made you wish cactus juice was real so you could try it too!

We hope you’ve enjoyed reading about our favorite moments from this great show, and maybe they’ll inspire you to go watch it again! Every time we re-watch it we find more moments to love. 

Oriel Voegele

CU Boulder '23

Oriel is currently a junior at the University of Colorado Boulder double majoring in Psychology and Strategic Communication double minoring in Women and Gender Studies and Business. When she’s not doing homework you can find her reading cute books way past her bedtime, watching romcoms with a facemask on, or being overly competitive at Monopoly and Mario Kart.
Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Sko Buffs!