BHM Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BHM Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Design by Gabi Maynard

Top 3 Black History Month Documentaries to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s Black History Month, and I wanted to share some documentaries that are a must-watch for this month.

“The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975”

This film is available for free on YouTube and will help you understand the depth of the Black Power movement. The film will probably radicalize you because it explores the complexities of the fledgling Black Power movement. This movie will help you understand what black people went through during the late 1960s to 70s. It features revolutionaries including Angela Davis, Stockley Carmicheal, and Kathleen Cleaver.

Watch HERE

”They’ve Gotta Have Us”

This movie is available on Netflix and explores the way black people around the world made their way in the movie industry. It features the struggle for black people to be present in the media and what the media industry looks like from the perspective of black actors. The movie features Spike Lee, Henry Belafonte, and Debbie Allan.

Watch HERE

”I Am Not Your Negro”

This documentary is James Baldwins’ description of the story of race in America. It brings attention to the racial prejudice that black people face in America. This beautiful piece of cinematography is incredible and I highly recommend watching the trailer. This documentary is mesmerizing and after watching it you will be sure to rethink your whole way of being.

You can watch it on Netflix

Overall, I hope these documentaries bring awareness to what the black experience is like in the United States. Black history is not just a month and these documentaries give insight into what the black experience truly is. I hope after watching them we can celebrate black history month by taking the time to be educated, realizing the disparities, and taking the time to celebrate and appreciate being black.

Ornella Musinguzi

CU Boulder '24

Ornella is a freshman and a writer for hercampus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Political Science, with a minor in leadership studies and philosophy. She likes to write about current events and news.
Sko Buffs!