Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Tips for Rocking That Last-Minute Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Stressing about that upcoming interview? Don’t panic. Below are a couple of tricks I’ve come across that have completely changed the way I interview, and now you can use them too!

I can’t speak for everyone, but I personally have always been stressed out by interviews. Sometimes they are the only chance you have to make an outstanding impression on a potential employer. Let’s talk about a few key tips I have learned from my past experiences. These are just a couple of preparations you can take to increase your chances of rocking that interview. 

RESEARCH

Start off by researching the company you are applying to. Learn their company values and goals. Know what they are looking for in an employee. This will help you gain a better understanding of their brand and what they’re all about. 

PREPARE TO BRAG

Work on an introductory statement. Almost 100% of the time, the interviewer is going to ask you to tell them a little about yourself. When I originally started applying to jobs and going into interviews, I would clump together a bunch of little facts about myself and basically spit them out with no structure. I learned this is not the best way to create an impression. You want your answer to flow smoothly. I would recommend starting with your interests/hobbies or where you are from, and then connect that to the reason you are applying or why you would be a perfect fit. Another way to create a flow is your past (where you’re from, what you’ve done), present (what you study, what you do now), and future (where you plan to go, why you’d be a good fit). Don’t just drop all the little fun facts about yourself. That isn’t memorable. Create a story.

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

Another common question asked in interviews is what are your strengths and weaknesses? Make sure you always elaborate. Don’t just spit out your strengths, and leave it at that. Expand on how you are continuing to improve them or how your strengths have developed over time. If they ask about your weaknesses, tell them, but then explain how you are working to improve them, or how you leverage them into assets. Tell your interviewer(s) current actions you are taking or new things you are learning in order to improve upon your weaknesses. This shows that you are actively working to better yourself, and employers love continuous improvement!

PREPARE QUESTIONS

This is a big one. Always have a few questions on hand to ask before you leave the interview. This shows that you are interested and creates more of a dialogue in an interview. Sometimes it can be boring for interviewees to ask the same questions over and over again. Get to know a few things about them for a change. A few good examples could include “What do you like most about working here?” or “How do you define success for this role?”

Gradients 2?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Canva

BE CONFIDENT, BUT BE YOURSELF

The last tip I would give is to be confident. Be confident in the way you walk, talk, stand, etc. Walk into the doors with purpose, introduce yourself as you belong there, and leave with pride, no matter how you thought the interview went. Showing that you trust yourself and believe in yourself will lead your employers to believe the same thing. Something that works for me and helps calm my nerves is “power posing” before interviews. This involves taking a stance that will mentally associate yourself with being powerful. Google “good power poses” and you’ll find tons of examples and research on the topic. 

These are just a few tips I have learned throughout my college career that have substantially changed my success in interviews. Just remember, be yourself and take a few deep breaths before you go in. You’re officially ready to rock that interview!

Cate Backes

CU Boulder '24

Cate is currently a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, studying Information Management / Data Analytics and Journalism. Just a few things she's interested in writing about include business, real-world problems, and personal experiences. In her free time, she enjoys playing with her pet cat named Toast and reading.