This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I have moved to a new apartment every year since I was 18, and let me tell you, it hasn’t always been easy. Let’s not forget the cockroaches as roommates or the broken water heater spilling water all over the kitchen. In my experience, searching for the right place to live comes down to a few crucial decisions that you need to make.

Solo or no?

Obviously, this one isn’t always up for debate. Maybe you and your partner are moving in together or searching for a new and bigger place (let me guess, you got a quarantine pet). But whether or not you have one or more roommates and how close you already are or plan to be definitely makes a difference. For example, would you live in a studio apartment by yourself or with your partner or roommate? Or is it important to you to have a bedroom? The difference here is that a studio is generally just one large room, and you need to organize around the kitchenette, which will vary in amenities depending on the location, age of the unit, and price. A one-bedroom apartment on the other hand guarantees a door in between you and your living space. An enclosed space for your toilet and shower is a must, my friends. But the bedroom door distinction is up to you/r roommate.

Location, location, location

The biggest thing that you can’t change is where the heck it’s located. You should go in with an open mind, in my opinion, because you don’t always get a lot of noise from nearby streets, and maybe if there is noise it doesn’t wind up being a problem for you. That aside, how many flights of stairs? How narrow are said stairs? I’m asking because of the size of your couch, girl. Comfy but wide, am I right? On the other hand, not everyone feels comfortable living in a bottom-floor unit for a variety of reasons. For me, that’s a hard no after a year of living below a man who I swear was training to become a professional tap dancer. Next up is the outdoors: do you have a parking space? Does your roommate? Do you even need one? If not, where’s the closest bus or train stop? If that would help your commute, public transit is a great solution in many cities.

What about Fluffy?

You definitely have to scope out whether this building or that one is suitable for your furry roommate. You know, the one who doesn’t pay rent but needs you to take care of their bathroom usage. Whether that’s having an appropriate space for a litter box or having a quick and convenient walk to a dog relief area, you’re going to want to dot the i’s and cross the t’s here. Equally important, pet deposits and rent. Pet rent for dogs, in particular, contributes to the maintenance of amenities like a dog park and having treats in the lobby. If they want to charge you without providing amenities? I’m not sure it’s the right fit, dawg.

Check the receipts

So along with paying extra to have your furry friend with you, what else are you paying for and receiving or not? In-unit laundry, covered/reserved parking, any utilities like trash or water, a gym, fitness center, and/or pool, an additional storage space, all of these things can be carefully considered by you as pros or cons. Do you want to live right next to the pool when you know there will be kids in it all summer? One apartment I lived in had a children’s park built into the green space in the center. Do you want to be close or far away from that additional noise/entertainment for your own kids? Check out the specific unit you’d most like to live in and familiarize yourself with its quirks.

Maybe she’s born with it

After the physical location of the building and its parking area, you really can’t make major changes inside most apartment units. You won’t be able to rip up that carpet and lay down hardwood, no matter how ugly, and you may or may not be allowed to paint the walls in rainbow hues. That being said, most spaces are beige blank slates for you to hang (with Command strips generally and not nails) art, tapestries, or even nice curtains with the right setting (ones that complement those rugs you bought, of course). But if the tile in the bathroom gives you a headache on the tour, it isn’t going to be more appealing to you after living there for a minute. Even something like the way the ceiling looks, the color of the cabinets, the angle of the fireplace, you’ll want to consider the aesthetics. If you don’t think you can tolerate it, skip it. Trust your gut.

Get multiple opinions

You don’t have to get the first one you see. On the other hand, if you do love it, then go for it! You’re the only one who knows which person or people in your life can help you with that though, so make sure to take photos or videos and share them with someone you trust to help you make the right call. Most leasing agents understand that you need to think about this decision, it’s a pretty big one. Don’t let them intimidate you if you’re not ready! It’s their job to get you to sign the lease, but that doesn’t do their company any good if you absolutely hate it, and now there’s tension. So think about it, and maybe make a spreadsheet like I always do with detailed notes on my options.

Gotta be thorough

In addition to all the great questions and answers you’ll exchange with a leasing agent, make sure you open every single cabinet and closet, and check inside for weirdness. Bring a nightlight or a charging cord, and check every single outlet. And while you have your phone in your hand, look at how good your cell service is. Don’t make the same mistake I did and live in a dead zone for your carrier. I know it sounds wild, but you will want to know those things before you sign on the dotted line.

All in all, looking for the right apartment is a commitment, and it may be a time-consuming one, but with careful planning, you can maximize your time and be efficient. You’ll want to be happy and maybe a little busy, but not stressed. After all, you want to make this place your home, even temporarily. Invest the time to make yourself happy in the long run.

Sarah Adams

CU Boulder '26

Linguist and cat person, most likely watching a hockey game, but I ought to be working on my dissertation.