Career

Thinking of Starting Your Own Online Business? Here’s What You Need to Know First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With quarantine dragging on and leaving people with a lot of extra time at home, online business is booming. If you’re considering becoming an entrepreneur yourself, here’s everything you need to know. 

Realistically, income from your online business won’t be enough to sustain you; however, if you’re just looking for a little extra money, it’s a great idea.

The increase in online shopping in the past year has its pros and cons. On the one hand, it means more potential customers; on the other, it means more potential competitors. It’s hard to start a unique business, but that’s not to say it can’t be done. Observe online shops that are already successful to note what qualities they have that you can introduce in your own business. 

Start simple.

Just like with anything else, there’s a learning curve to starting a business. Jumping right into the deep end without enough knowledge or preparation is one surefire way to set your business up for failure. Start off with something you know you can easily manage, and as you become more experienced, broaden your scope.

Be prepared to lose some money initially.

It should go without saying that a business is an investment. You have to be willing to put a fair amount of money into it without seeing any return for a while. It’s a bit risky, but if you start out on the right foot and you’re willing to stick with your business, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Use social media to your advantage. 

If you want to be successful, you have to put yourself out there. What better way to do that than social media, where everyone is already connected? Be ready to promote, promote, promote.

In terms of platforms for selling your products, you’ve got plenty of options.

While lots of people start their shop on Etsy, it’s not the only platform out there. Sellbrite has a list of sites similar to Etsy you can use to sell your products. You can also opt to start and run your own website, which gives you more freedom but also more responsibility. Forbes is a great resource for learning how to start your own business website.

Most importantly, make sure you’re passionate about your business.

There’s nothing worse than devoting yourself to something to which you are completely indifferent. Running a business takes a great deal of time and commitment; make sure you choose a business that you think is worthwhile. 

Starting an online business can be a great way to spend time developing an idea you’re passionate about, and there’s no better time to start than now. With a strong foundation and a thoughtful plan, it’s entirely possible for your business to achieve success. 

Cara Dulin

CU Boulder '24

Cara is a freshman at the University of Colorado Boulder. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, reading, and baking sweets of any kind.
Sko Buffs!