Wellness > Health

Things I’ve Learned After Losing 90 Pounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This article was written from personal experience and should not be interpreted as medical advice.

Weight loss is a complicated and complex journey characterized by highs and lows. After the weight is lost, the journey continues in other ways. During and following my weight loss journey, I found many things that people don’t usually talk or think about. The process of shedding pounds is not just about the external changes; it’s a profound experience that involves every aspect of life. 

Your confidence isn’t always going to improve. 

When I was at my heaviest, I was constantly thinking about how I would feel and look without excess weight. Let me tell you, I didn’t feel the way I imagined. I’m at my goal weight but when I look in the mirror, it’s not what I imagined. 

Nobody tells you about the excess skin or the stretch marks you will have. Every day, I saw these things as a reminder of my heavier self – of the anxiety and self-doubt I carried. Like many parts of the weight loss journey, I had to change my perspective. I began trying to look at the signs of my weight loss as a reminder of how far I’ve come and of the work I put in. This is still hard for me sometimes, but it has helped immensely. Now when I look in the mirror, I see how strong and resilient I am. 

Buying new clothes can get expensive.

One of the most exciting things about losing weight is buying new clothes, but it’s also one of the hardest. Weight loss doesn’t happen overnight, so along my weight loss journey, I found myself having to buy new clothes constantly. I would buy an outfit and a few months later, it would be too big. Buying new clothes every few months was costly and wearing baggy clothes was not ideal. 

I found little ways to make my wardrobe go further, such as taking in clothes to make them more form-fitting or cropping baggy t-shirts. I also tried to keep my wardrobe simple and refrain from buying too many unnecessary items. Instead of buying a non-versatile pair of leather pants, I just bought a couple of pairs of jeans. It wasn’t the most exciting wardrobe, but I spiced it up with accessories instead. I also tried to shop consignment or look for companies with long return policies so I could return or swap when the clothes got too big. 

People are going to comment on your weight loss. 

Nobody ever talks about someone gaining weight, but everyone wants to talk about it when someone loses weight. I was surprised when customers at my job even started commenting on my weight loss. At first, I thought to myself, “I get it. I was heavier before. Thanks a lot for noticing that.” It felt like people were judging me even though I knew many of them meant it as a compliment. I wasn’t used to having people compliment my appearance. 

After a while of being uncomfortable with the comments, I adjusted my mindset, and for every comment someone made, I would repeat in my head “This is a compliment. They are proud of me.” It was hard at first but by doing this, I started believing it and appreciating the compliment, and soon the feeling of judgment went away. 

Losing 90 pounds continues to be a journey of patience and self-discovery. Weight loss has taught me that the most significant changes happen within, and that true success is not measured by the number on the scale, but by the transformation of mind, body, and spirit.

Aspen Bentley is a contributing writer for Her Campus at the University of Colorado-Boulder chapter. This is her first year being a Her Campus member. Aspen enjoys writing everything from politics to lifestyle pieces and she is especially interested in the environment and sustainability. Aspen is a senior journalism student and communications minor at CU Boulder and will graduate in 2024. She was a delegate for the University of Colorado at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Scotland. Beyond Her Campus and CU Boulder, Aspen works at a local pet store in Boulder. In her free time, Aspen enjoys writing, spending time with pets and friends, horseback riding, travel, and environmental advocacy. Aspen has three dogs, a cat, and a gecko. Aspen usually spends her weekends hiking and camping with her friends and dogs. Aspen is so excited to be a member of Her Campus and can't wait to see where it takes her.