Hiking Shoes Boots Mountains View Adventure Climb Fun Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Things I Learned Living in Boulder As an In-State Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Preparing for college when you’re moving within the same state seems pretty easy. You know the weather, you know the best sites and just have a clue of what you’re getting yourself into. Despite this, moving, even if it’s only 40 minutes away, is not as easy as it sounds, and it’s bound to come with surprises. This is especially true in a town like Boulder, where so much is constantly happening. I discovered that there was much to get used to, and this list will tell you what I needed to do so.

Sunscreen

You should always have sunscreen on, but especially in Boulder. Your daily life will consist of long walks to class, fun hikes and every possible outdoor activity. It’ll be a lifesaver. Make sure that you reapply throughout the day, because the high altitude makes it that much worse if you don’t. 

Bikes

Boulder, and CU in particular, are places where your feet are all you’ll need to get around. Sometimes however, you have lectures that are on opposite sides of campus with only 20 minutes to get there. When this is the case, a bike will be your best friend. There are plenty of places to park throughout campus and the city. Be sure you also bring a lock with you! 

Layers

Something about being so close to the mountains makes the Colorado weather stereotype a little truer. In Boulder, cold mornings do not compare to the afternoon heat, so you’ll want to make sure your outfit is prepared. A cardigan or light jacket are perfect to carry around, because you never know when it might get cold, and trust me, the weather app isn’t always right. 

Parking

If you are driving somewhere, chances are you’re going to have to pay for parking. Campus, Pearl Street and The Hill are three locations where that will definitely be the case, so be sure you plan a carpool or consider walking.

Whether you’re coming to Boulder from 20 hours or 20 minutes away, you’re bound to discover a few surprises along the way. With its beautiful, vibrant life and good vibes, you’ll also discover that most of these will be just as great as Boulder is. 

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!