The Signs as Sustainable Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Being more mindful of the amount of trash we produce is more important now than ever. Thankfully, there are many ways to cut down on unnecessary waste and facilitate a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. To inspire you on the little ways you can live a greener life, here are the zodiac signs as various sustainable/reusable items.

♈ Aries: wool dryer ball

Perfect for the sign that is always on the go, wool dryer balls cut down drying time and can last for up to two to five years (1,000 loads of laundry). Changing to wool dryer balls is a super effective way to replace the use of regular dryer sheets that end up being thrown away at the end of each load. Wool dryer sheets perfectly represent Aries, who are characterized by their overwhelming energy and fast-paced lives.

♉ Taurus: shampoo and conditioner bar

Taurus value self-care and the finer things in life. Beauty products and personal hygiene are an absolute necessity for them. Taking this into consideration, shampoo and conditioner bars are the perfect way to pamper your hair while cutting down on the unnecessary plastic packaging that comes along with traditional bottled shampoos and conditioners. Finding the perfect shampoo and conditioner bars can be a challenge, but once you find the perfect one it’ll be your stable go-to product for your hair–similar to the fierce loyalty and security experienced from being friends with a Taurus. 

♊ Gemini: reusable paper towel

Known for being adaptable, Geminis are perfectly represented by reusable/biodegradable paper towels. Similar to normal paper towels, cloth paper towels can become a vital part of every household. Reusable paper towels are similar to Geminis in that they’re extremely versatile and are up for tackling any sticky situation. By switching to reusable towels, you eliminate unnecessary waste and, since they can be used over and over again, they save you money too.

♋ Cancer: compostable sponge

Regular disposable sponges don’t last very long and can end up shedding microplastics into the ocean after you throw them away. Instead, consider switching to biodegradable sponges which take less time to break down and are much better for the environment. Cancers fit the vibe of compostable sponges because they often hold in a lot of emotions and they’re dependable. Cancers are also very nurturing, and sponges are gentle on dishes and countertops. 

♌ Leo: reusable water bottle

Being completely customizable (coming in many shapes, sizes and often decorated with stickers) reusable water bottles aren’t like boring plastic water bottles which pollute landfills and oceans. A quality reusable water bottle will never leave your side and, as evident by the “emotional support water bottle” trend on social media, you might even become emotionally attached to it. They really are the main character when it comes to living a more eco-friendly lifestyle, encapsulating the confident and loyal tone of Leos. 

♍ Virgo: reusable notebook and refillable pen

Known for being very analytical, Virgos are the definition of reusable notebooks and refillable pens. Stationary is a huge source of waste, especially for students and office workers, and switching to reusable notebooks and refillable pens helps cut down some of that waste. The innovative technology behind some of these reusable notebooks is also very impressive, characteristic of a Virgo’s unique problem-solving skills. 

♎ Libra: stainless steel bento box

No two things scream “organized” and “balanced” better than Libras and bento boxes. Since bento boxes have individual spaces for food, they eliminate the need for plastic bags. Additionally, since the sections of bento boxes are relatively small in size, you’re able to portion food better and avoid extra food waste. Libras are also notoriously friendly and social, so having them be associated with bento boxes and lunchtime (a notoriously social time of day) just makes sense.

♏ Scorpio: plastic-free safety razor

Seen as one of the more mysterious but bold signs, Scorpios are surrounded by an air of intimacy and sexuality. When looking at safety razors, it can be easy to be intimidated by them, which is a similar feeling to approaching a Scorpio. Since they’re mostly seen as a “men’s razor,” not many women know that safety razors can shave more than just faces. Instead, most women opt for plastic disposable razors marketed toward them. The problem with these razors, though, is that they don’t last long and since they’re made from a mix of materials, they are extremely difficult to recycle. Safety razors, on the other hand, are made from metal so they’re entirely recyclable. They also just provide a closer and better shave than plastic razors do.

♐ Sagittarius: reusable grocery bag

Sagittariuses are very adventurous people. Because of this, they’re a perfect fit for the classic first step everyone recommends to live a more sustainable life–reusable grocery bags. Plastic bags are a major contributor to pollution, and while paper bags are a slightly better alternative, they’re almost always single-use. To eliminate waste, switching to reusable grocery bags is the way to go. You can take them anywhere and they’re perfect for holding anything you pick up while out and about on your next adventure. 

♑ Capricorn: upcycled wallet

Known as being very focused, driven, and reserved, Capricorns are a perfect fit for upcycled wallets. These wallets are very eco-friendly because they’re repurposed from something else that would have just ended up in landfills. There are many variations of upcycled wallets and brands dedicated to making these wallets from items such as tires, firefighter uniforms, and couches. Capricorns are also known for being financially stable, and having a good wallet is necessary to keep your money safe. 

♒ Aquarius: reusable silicone zip-up bag

Instead of using traditional zip-up bags, which are single-use and contribute to plastic waste, silicone is the best alternative. When treated correctly, these bags can last longer than four years. Silicone bags are a super unique concept that go against the norm–exactly the creative type of thinking associated with Aquarius who aren’t afraid to challenge ideas and stand apart from the crowd. 

♓ Pisces: gaiwan

Pisces are very creative by nature and enjoy when things have a romantic flair. Because of this, no other eco-friendly item encapsulates Pisces better than a gaiwan. A gaiwan is a special bowl with a lid that brews tea. Because the lid of a gaiwan acts as a strainer, it eliminates the need for tea bags–most of which are not biodegradable. This method of brewing tea comes from the Ming Dynasty in China, and many feature beautiful artwork.

Finding little ways to be more sustainable in your everyday life can be a challenge. However, it is my hope that you were able to get a little inspiration from my list, and have a little fun at the same time!

Mackenzie is an article contributor for Her Campus at the University of Colorado Boulder. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics with a focus on Beauty, Fashion and Sex + Relationships. During the Spring 2023 semester, Mackenzie had the opportunity to further her public relations studies at the University of Westminster in London. Beyond Her Campus, she has experience writing for other publications including ROAM Boulder, CU Boulder's first life and style publication, and The ISA Journal, a blog dedicated to documenting students' experiences abroad. Additionally, Mackenzie has worked as a Seasonal Associate at Victoria's Secret, where she helped facilitate product releases within the fashion industry --- including the Victoria's Secret Icon Collection. In her free time, Mackenzie enjoys thrifting online, listening to her favorite Spotify playlists (each playlist has to have at least one Selena Gomez song, it's a rule!), and curating new content for her Instagram @mackenziehornik.