The History Behind the Formation of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Black History Month, celebrated in February, is an observance and celebration of Black history and achievements. While it was officially recognized in 1986, the history behind it actually dates back to 1915. This celebration has since evolved.

In 1915, historian Carter G. Woodson co-founded the Association for Negro Life and History due to how little information about Black figures’ accomplishments was available. This association is now known as the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH). About a decade later in 1926, the second week in February was declared “Negro History Week.” 

This week was declared to commemorate the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, both seen as symbols of freedom. Woodson however, never allowed his work to be confined to this week and continued to advocate and celebrate year-round.
Over the following decades, proclamations in cities across countries were issued in honor of “Negro History Week.” During the civil rights movement, this week-long celebration had evolved to Black History Month in college campuses across the U.S. Years later in 1976, Gerald Ford recognized Black History Month.

Art Nouveau Black History Month GIF by Leeyamakesnoise - Find & Share on GIPHY

Finally, a decade later in 1986, the U.S. Congress in a joint resolution officially declared February National Black History Month. This was also the first year that Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday was celebrated nationwide.

Since then, Black History Month has become celebrated in Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. Every year, Black History Month has had a theme surrounding its celebration. This year is Black Health and Wellness. You can find a list of all of them here. Additionally, you can check out more of ASALH’s resources to further educate yourself. 

2022: Black Health and Wellness

This year’s theme is Black Health and Wellness. Its purpose is not only to acknowledge Black scholars and practitioners in Western medicine but to also acknowledge other ways of knowing in Black communities. This includes rituals, initiatives, and other activities. 

This year’s theme focuses on the determination to build hospitals, nursing schools, and community clinics. These clinics have been established by grassroots organizations “such as the African Union Society, National Association of Colored Women and the Black Panther Party.” 

There is a focus on body positivity, physical exercise, nutrition, exploring options like vegetarianism/veganism, and gardening. The theme also focuses on mental and emotional health.

Social media and podcasts have helped support the theme. The ASALH mentions “The Read,” hosted by Crissle and Kid Fury, as well as “Therapy for Black Girls,” hosted by Dr. Joy Harden Bradford. 

Black Lives Matter Health GIF by INTO ACTION - Find & Share on GIPHY

PREVIOUS THEMES

2021: The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity. 

2020: African Americans and the Vote

2019: Black Migrations

2018: African Americans in Times of War

2017:  The Crisis in Black Education
The history of Black History Month dates back almost a century. Since the days of Woodson, the celebration has evolved, but it continues to be a vital part of U.S. history. It is a time to honor the many sacrifices and efforts of Black communities. However, it is important to remember that we should continue to do that year-round. For more ways to do so, click here.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.