This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

How It Began

A few weeks ago, my roommate asked me if I had heard of “The Climb,” a new TV show on HBO Max featuring a climbing competition between amateur climbers. I hadn’t, so she rewatched the first episode with me as I watched it for the first time. By the end of the episode, I was nearly in tears. 

I haven’t been super involved in the climbing community since a lot of it was outdoor based and I mainly climbed indoors, but this show showed me the huge world of climbing. Climbing never really had a huge public stance, and “The Climb” put it frontward to all different demographics; though it was mostly a show for climbers, those who had never climbed before could be inspired to pick up the sport themselves.

The Finale Drop

“The Climb” episodes came out three at a time for two weeks, then the last two came out in the final week. My roommate said that there was going to be a watch party in Boulder for the last episode. 

At first, I thought it was just going to be a few people we knew or college students, but then I learned it was an official event sponsored by Prana. Not only that but the hosts, Chris Sharma and Meagan Martin, would be attending along with the winner of the show. This is a huge deal: both are very well-known professional climbers in the climbing community. After a few switched work shifts, we got a ticket to go to the event.

The Event

On a brisk and freezing Thursday evening, my roommate and I headed to the event, which was held at the Boulder Theater near Pearl Street in Boulder. The line was wrapped around the corner of the building, where we had plenty of time to stand in the cold and ponder who would win “The Climb,” if they would be there, and if we would be able to see Chris Sharma or Meagan Martin walking around somewhere. 

Once we got in, we were greeted with coupons and giveaways with “The Climb” sponsors and local Boulder climbing businesses, along with a bag of popcorn. We sat just a few rows from the front, and when my roommate left to grab a drink, she came back and said that Chris Sharma was out in the lobby, meandering around. The two of us went back to the lobby and we were able to meet Chris Sharma, which was incredible considering his talent and the influence he has on the climbing community. Plus, he was really nice and said Eldorado Canyon was his favorite place to climb in Boulder.

From there the main event began. A representative of Prana came out to introduce the episode, and the lights dimmed before it started playing.

If you don’t want spoilers on “The Climb,” I would skip forward a few paragraphs. That being said, watching the last episode in a large group of people was an amazing experience. I loved hearing the laughs, the “oohs” and “ahhs,” and seeing people cry in the audience. 

I had been rooting for one of the competitors, Cat, the entire show, and seeing him win in the end brought me to tears. Being only 5 feet tall (the same height as me!), it really inspired me to see a short climber being successful and realize that I no longer had that excuse.

Once the watch-through was over, Chris Sharma, Meagan Martin, and Cat came out to do a little Q&A. Some of the questions were about the behind-the-scenes of “The Climb,” while other questions are specifics about the hosts or winner. My only complaint was that this part of the event wasn’t long enough; they talked for about 15 minutes before saying their goodbyes and announcing a final giveaway.

Last Thoughts

I am still surprised “The Climb” came to Boulder for the final episode rather than another location, but am very thankful for the opportunity to go. Seeing professional climbers in a mediated but still “chill” setting was super fun, along with getting to enjoy something with the Boulder climbing community.

Not only was the event and show fun, but I’m also much more inspired to go out and climb. I haven’t done a lot of outdoor climbing (mainly sport or top rope with a friend of mine), but now this summer I’m determined to get into climbing and go as much as I can. Along with that, I’ve committed to buying a climbing pass at a local indoor gym to continue indoors until it’s warm enough to go out.

I don’t think rock climbing is for everyone, but I do believe in having a passion or hobby you can always be working toward improving in. “The Climb” gave me the motivation to continue to climb and invest in an activity that I love. Though I know I probably won’t be a professional climber, this hobby gives me an opportunity to grow and enjoy myself, something I hope everyone can find.

Anna Bedell

CU Boulder '25

Anna Bedell is the social media director at the Her Campus, CU Boulder chapter. She writes content mainly on entertainment and culture, along with personal essays and experiences. A junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, Anna is majoring in business administration with an emphasis in marketing and a minor in journalism. She’s currently studying abroad at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy for the fall semester. An involved student in the business school, Anna writes for the school’s marketing department, is a representative for the Leeds Student Government, and works as a Leeds Student Ambassador. Outside of school, you’ll find Anna rock climbing, watching movies, writing, or traveling around. She’s sure to constantly update her Spotify profile and will never miss an opportunity to talk about her cat, Biscuit.