The Best Video Games I Play as a University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It can be difficult to find time to play video games as a university student. Between classes, homework, work, clubs, and more, schedules can get busy. However, it’s also important to take some time for yourself to de-stress, and sometimes that means turning on a video game every now and then. 

Here are a few games (both new and old) I’ve found myself sneaking into my schedule and which I recommend you check out for yourself. 

Baulder’s Gate 3.

As someone who’s in a long-distance relationship, it’s sometimes challenging to find fun things to do with my partner. However, Baulder’s Gate 3, which was released this August, has quickly become our go-to way of spending time together virtually. A video game version of Dungeons and Dragons, Baulder’s Gate 3 allows up to four people to play together, with extensive dialogue choices and character customization options (even to the point of deciding genital types—yes, I’m serious, that’s really an option here). 

Whether you’re in a long-distance friendship or relationship, looking for something to do with your roommates, or just wanting a game to play by yourself in between classes, I highly recommend Baulder’s Gate 3. My partner and I have over 50 hours in the game already and we still find ourselves asking each other to play almost every day. Many publications like Forbes have even theorized it has a strong chance of winning Game of the Year. 

The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood.

Another new release, The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood takes players on a mysterious journey as an exiled witch who must build her own tarot deck. By navigating friendships and coven politics, players have the opportunity to make their own choices which affect the storyline. Perfect vibes for the fall semester (but can be played all year round), this game features gorgeous visuals and a unique premise. With a mix of choose-your-own-adventure and designing/management mechanics, you’ll never get bored of The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood. If I had to choose my favorite solo game I’m playing right now, it would have to be this one.

dead by daylight.

Dead By Daylight is a classic multiplayer horror game where four players attempt to fix generators around a map while another player tries to thwart their escape. This is an older game I always find myself replaying, especially during October. Perfect for playing alone or with friends, Dead By Daylight is easy to fit into busy university schedules because the matches are fairly short and it’s easy to pick up and stop whenever. Also, because it’s an older game, it’s one of the more affordable on this list and frequently goes on sale. 

cat cafe manager.

Do you like cats? Enjoy a good management simulator? If yes, I have just the game for you: 

Cat Cafe Manager. A recent discovery of mine, this game allows players to run and decorate their very own cat cafe—complete with a cute collection of cats and a quirky cast of town residents. The art style of this game is what initially attracted me, but the gameplay is equally captivating, with my favorite aspect being gaining new furniture items and creating my dream cat cafe. Cat Cafe Manager is the most wholesome, relaxing game on this list—perfect for those extra-stressful weeks of college. 

Hopefully, the above list gave you a few new titles to play in between your classes and homework. If I missed your favorite game and you want to give me a recommendation, feel free to send me a message on Instagram (@mackenzie-hornik)!

Mackenzie is an article contributor for Her Campus at the University of Colorado Boulder. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics with a focus on Beauty, Fashion and Sex + Relationships. During the Spring 2023 semester, Mackenzie had the opportunity to further her public relations studies at the University of Westminster in London. Beyond Her Campus, she has experience writing for other publications including ROAM Boulder, CU Boulder's first life and style publication, and The ISA Journal, a blog dedicated to documenting students' experiences abroad. Additionally, Mackenzie has worked as a Seasonal Associate at Victoria's Secret, where she helped facilitate product releases within the fashion industry --- including the Victoria's Secret Icon Collection. In her free time, Mackenzie enjoys thrifting online, listening to her favorite Spotify playlists (each playlist has to have at least one Selena Gomez song, it's a rule!), and curating new content for her Instagram @mackenziehornik.