Life > Academics

The Best Places to Get Stuff Done This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Throughout the first semester, I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect study spot. Because of how big the student body is at CU, it’s difficult to come by somewhere quiet and empty to get some studying done. Here is a ranked list of the best study spots I have found so far.

The C4C

The C4C can be a great place to get some work done, either by yourself or with some of your friends. Particularly in the mornings, most of the students there are doing just that. If you find a booth more towards the corner, whether deep in the section by the Italian station or in the Colorado Roo, the best part about studying in the C4C is that you can get a refill of your coffee or yerba or even get a snack at any time. 

Norlin Library 

The library is always a classic place to get work done. In most areas, it is guaranteed to be quiet and comfortable. Norlin Library is massive, so there is no doubt that you’ll find the perfect area for you. Although I love a good library study session, I have to say that the quiet inside can be a little uncomfortable. If you like to work in an area that isn’t so quiet that you can hear your pencil scratching, Norlin may not be the place for you. However, if you prefer absolute silence, this will be your study heaven. 

The UMC

For those that like to work in an environment that is more lively, the UMC is a great place to go. Most days, you’ll find it populated with students either having a meal or doing some studying. It’s the perfect place to go with your friends, and much like the C4C, there are plenty of places for you to settle down. Additionally, the UMC is much closer to the area where many classes are, especially for students studying arts and sciences. Plus, if you’re feeling like treating yourself, the Starbucks at the UMC is a perfect study treat. 

The CASE Building 

Located right on the central campus, the CASE building is both beautiful and quiet. With high ceilings, windows, and a massive open staircase, it’s the perfect place to go if you prefer studying in a more open environment. It’s also very quiet in the building, offering an environment where you can really focus. Although it’s very quiet, it is by no means empty, with plenty of students and faculty sitting among the tables and couches working. 

Starbucks 

In my humble opinion, the Starbucks on the Hill is the best place to go to get some work done with your friends, or on your own. Not only can you treat yourself to a coffee mid-study sesh, but the coffee shop is always buzzing with energy. It’s not too loud, with the exception of the seasonal music playing quietly in the background and students quietly catching up with each other. Personally, I have spent upwards of four hours straight sitting in Starbucks getting my work done, and honestly, it didn’t feel longer than two. 

Whether you like to study in loud public places or the quiet nook in the corner, CU Boulder will have the place for you. As the new semester begins, finding the perfect study spot for yourself will go a long way in making the semester not only more productive, but also less stressful and more enjoyable. 

Yana Medvedeva

CU Boulder '25

I am a student at CU Boulder, but am originally from New Jersey. I love Op-eds, creative, and persuasive writing. I also love spending time outside, whether that be running, hiking, or just hanging out with some friends. In the winter, you'll definitely catch me on the slopes!