Tame Impala’s Slow Rush Tour is Unforgettable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Ever since 2015 I have been obsessed with Tame Impala. Created and led by Kevin Parker, Tame Impala is a psychedelic music project with super iconic songs like “The Less I Know the Better” and “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards.” As much as I absolutely love listening to his music in the car and while I’m doing homework, there is something so special about the show that he puts on when you see him live. I was lucky enough to see him twice on the Slow Rush Tour, and on November 2nd I went to the Hollywood Bowl for their concert.  It was such an incredible experience from the location, to the artist, to the theatrics of the show. 

The Hollywood Bowl is such an amazing place to be. You walk in surrounded by other fans of the artist and immediately feel the incredible vibes of the atmosphere. When I first got there, I was on a mission to buy a hoodie to commemorate the night (and the merch booth was decorated so fun), and then I went to get some refreshments before going to my seat. I sat pretty high up and it was so cool to be able to have such a great view of the entire amphitheatre and the Hollywood hills. Everyone there was so happy and the overall vibe was such a difference from the hustle and bustle of the rest of LA.

Kevin Parker is an icon and such an amazing and interactive performer. He literally sounds exactly like he does in the records and never misses a single note or beat. I feel like he really connected with the audience throughout the concert; he even overheard that it was an audience member’s birthday and wished him a happy birthday and talked to him for like three minutes. At the end of the show he even asked some guy for a beer. He hardly moves during the whole set, but his voice and the emotion behind it is present. 

The lights are such a huge part of what makes seeing Tame Impala in person such a great experience. There were purple, green, red, and yellow laser lights lighting up the entire amphitheatre and into the sky for a lot of the songs, and a huge ring of lights in the center of the stage that matched the vibe of every song perfectly. Also, the visual aspects on the screen are so cool and change from waves to psychedelic stuff and go through a bunch of different fantastical scenes of mountains, valleys, the ocean, and the sky. It really is so immersive and makes you feel like you have been transported into a different world. A staple of any Tame Impala concert is the confetti that they blast into the air at the end of “Let it Happen” and at the very end of the show. It is so colorful and fun and makes the concert so iconic and unforgettable. 

Overall, whether you are a fan of Tame Impala or you have never heard of him, seeing him in concert is a truly magical experience and I would highly recommend it. It was one of the best nights of my life and I am so grateful to have been able to go and hear all of the songs that I have been obsessing over since I was 14 live. 

Sydney is a junior at CU majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in Media Studies. She is super interested fashion, skincare, lifestyle, and entertainment.