Republic Records
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Hello everyone! I hope the last 141 days of quarantine have been a period of growth, reflection, and a lot of time spent on TikTok. I think the highlight of my entire quarantine was Taylor Swift dropping “Folklore” unexpectedly. Is this a breakup album? A reflection album? I’m not really sure, but I do know it’s relatable and the album we all need. The 16 track album featured five explicit songs that honestly threw me for a loop. 

Each song tells a story and allows the listener to visualize it as well as feel as if they are a part of it. Twitter exploded with Swifties drawing their own conclusions to the hidden stories in the songs but I think you have to listen for yourself to understand.

In no particular order, here are my top five tracks from “Folklore”:

the 1

“I’m doing good, I’m on some new shit now”

ICONIC! The best opening to an album in the history of ever. Tay, I’m so glad you are doing good, I’m so glad you are changing it up, and I can’t wait for more. I think we all have someone who is, or was, the 1 for us and I think this song really shows how we change. It’s possible to change up your life and create something out of something that didn’t work out. This is such a relatable and real song. Thank you Taylor for showing us we can move on and still create a life we want to be proud of.

mirrorball

“Spinning in my highest heels, love Shining just for you”

I really enjoyed mirrorball. I felt the song talked more about how people can change in different relationships or situations to reflect how the people around them see them or want to see them. It seems complex, but in life, people want to be seen in the way others see them, and I think Taylor did an awesome job describing that throughout this song.

invisible string

“All along there was an invisible string tying you to me”

This song made me think of the growth and reflection you can have during and after a relationship. I also felt it was a much lighter song on the album and a little more upbeat. I’ve seen a lot of reactions to this song and honestly so to answer the questions. Yes, I think this song is about Joe, and yes, I think they are either engaged or married.

mad woman

“Does a scorpion sting when fighting back” 

This was such a GOOD song! I felt this was a powerful song for all the ladies out there dealing with big bad men in their lives. I don’t think anyone can sing “f*ck you” more elegantly than Taylor Swift. For me, this song felt as if it was being sung from the point of view of a woman labeled the “crazy ex”. I love every part of this song and I feel that I could talk about it for hours.

cardigan

“When you are young they assume you know nothing”

Do I think this song is about Harry Styles? Honestly, I’m not sure, but I do think there are some parallels and connections.

I think cardigan refers to someone or something who makes you feel safe and secure. I love the fairytale vibe throughout her music video and the detail. Props to Taylor and her team for creating such an incredible video in the middle of a pandemic. I think it shows when you have heart and dedication nothing can truly stop you.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading a few of my thoughts on my top five tracks from “Folklore”. Don’t forget to stream “Folklore” on your favorite streaming service (mine is Spotify)!

Michaela is a rising Senior at the University of Colorado Boulder where she is majoring in psychology and working towards minors in education and leadership. Outside of the classroom, Michaela is a founding member of the Phi Mu Xi Alpha chapter and a 4-year member of Her Campus x CU. On the weekend you can find Michaela shopping on Pearl St. or driving up to the mountains.
Sko Buffs!