alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Couture Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The one thing every fashion lover enjoys about the fashion industry is that there is never a dull moment. In the fashion industry there are fashion shows year round, and the best ones are always the couture shows. Sure you probably can’t afford a couture dress, but it’s fun to watch the shows and hope one day you can. Throughout the month of July, shortly after the menswear shows, the Fall ‘17 Couture Fashion Weeks were off in full swing.

In reality, what many people don’t realize, is that there are only a few brands that are considered “official” couture designers. The official Designers for Couture Fashion Week are: Chanel, Christian Dior, Schiaparelli, and Maison Margiela along with a few others. All the other Couture fashion shows we hear of are from designers who are considered guest members. The most well known guest members are Valentino, Elie Saab, and Giorgio Armani.

1. Valentino

As usual, Valentino did not fail to impress people with this season’s collection. With it being fall we saw a lot of darker  and neutral colors. As you might expect, the pieces were made of heavier material, and even suede, for the cooler weather.

The things that kept everyone talking after the show were the trench coats, capes, and trains coming off of the hip. We definitely we see lots more of this trend in more of this season’s shows.

2. Maison Margiela

Maison Margiela is one of the few official members of the couture fashion weeks. Well, they were right on board with the trench coat trends. The show started off will a beautiful trench coat paired with metallic gold boots.

The show continued along these same lines by showing various different coats worn in different different styles. Almost everyone was paired with a belt pulled tightly around the waist. While each look wasn’t the entire coat, pieces of the coat were carefully picked and matched to the outfit perfectly.

3. Zuhair Murad

Well what to say about Murad? As a guest member of Fall Couture Fashion Week, he always leaves people wanting even more.

From sheer and beaded bodices to wedding dresses, Zuhair Murad had it all this season. His classic and most well known look is of course the sheer fabric with lots of detailing.

It was also nice to see Murad’s touch of color throughout the show. While most pieces, even from other designers, are more neutral colors due to the season, Murad added quite a few soft blue and periwinkle dresses.

4. Elie Saab

Elie Saab always leaves everyone speechless, but this season he really outdid himself. All the models looked like actual goddesses. The dresses consisted of beautiful combinations of black, gold, blue, green, and a blush pink. Some of the biggest trends were the capes, neck ties, and fur shrugs. I mean who doesn’t need a fur shrug in these upcoming cold months.

Elie Saab not only had these beautiful details on the dresses, but each dress was made out of material that made it unique. He incorporated many velvet dresses this season, and had a stunning red satin dress.

A new addition to the runway for Saab was the gorgeous pantsuit. As time goes on, we see more and more celebrities embracing their femininity by wearing pantsuits, so it was nice to see this included on the runway this year.

Now, personally, some of his best pieces of work are the beautiful sheer bodice dresses that are encompassed with intricate beadwork.

The hustle and bustle of the fashion industry is always going even when we are on summer break. While we were out sunbathing, models were showing off the most beautiful couture of the season. Even though we could never get a couture dress now, it’s always fun to keep up with the designers.

Alexis Morgan

CU Boulder '19

Alexis grew up in Southern Colorado and is a senior this school year. She is majoring in Marketing with an Operations & Information Management Certificate, and a minor in Communications. Currently she is a PINK Campus Representative and a Style Guru with College Fashionista. In her free time you can expect to see her shopping, in a pilates class, or taking a break at the local Starbucks.
Sko Buffs!