Students to blame for 4/20 ban

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The University of Colorado at Boulder is known for many things: our beautiful brick architecture, the stunning flatirons and our active and friendly community. But, let’s not forget our most unique claim to fame: 4/20. Every year the massive marijuana holiday manages to attract more people and more media coverage, amusing students and frustrating faculty and law enforcement. Just last year, a reported 10,000 people bustled onto campus to partake in the controversial event. However, due to this impressive and overwhelming roundup of characters, the University is debating banning the event that has gained national attention for Boulder. Now, now, I know what you’re thinking…”they say this every year” or “yeah right, they can’t stop it. It’s gotten too big.” While these remarks may be true, this time it is not University officials or even police that are opposing 4/20, it’s us!

According to a survey distributed by the CU Student Government last spring, students expressed concern about the celebration and its affects on CU’s reputation as a top university. After all, 4/20 has helped CU rank as one of the nation’s “top party schools” by Playboy and “druggiest” college by Newsweek.

The Student Government held an open forum to debate passing legislation to ban 4/20 on November 30, 2011. According to the CU Independent, the forum was filled with students on both sides of the issue freely voicing their opinions. Many students complained about the crowds, traffic and noise caused by 4/20, while others insisted it was a harmless expression of freedom and fun.

In the end, the council decided to draft the legislation to ban 4/20. The council deemed the forum a success and the first step towards their goal of eliminating the event from Boulder’s campus.

While the passing of this legislation is unprecedented, it remains the first small step in a long and complicated process. As the debate surrounding this controversial decision rages, only time will tell if one of Boulder’s longstanding traditions will continue to define the university this coming spring.  

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.