This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Every year, a giant tree is brought to the Rockefeller Center in Midtown Manhattan to signal the beginning of the Christmas season. In the past, the Rockefeller Christmas Tree has elicited only positive feedback from the public. However, in classic 2020 style, putting up this year’s tree proved to be more eventful than anyone could have expected…

The Origin Story.

Four years ago, an employee of Rockefeller Center took notice of a Norway spruce tree outside Daddy Al’s General Store in Oneonta, New York. After contacting the owner, it was decided the tree would be a promising candidate for Rockefeller Center. Finally, this year it was deemed tall enough (at an impressive 75 feet) to make the journey from Oneonta to New York City.

The Controversy Begins.

After the tree safely arrived at the Rockefeller Center in Midtown Manhattan, all was looking well…until a picture of the tree was posted to social media. Unfortunately, during transit, the tree’s limbs had collected together, causing it to look…well, let’s just say less than appealing. This photo sparked a firestorm of debate across all social media platforms, with many people claiming that this was the “saddest” Rockefeller Christmas Tree in history–drawing comparisons to the classic depressed-looking sapling from “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

The Tree’s Epic Clapback.

Not willing to stand idly by while people mocked it, the Rockefeller Tree took to the official Rockefeller Center Twitter: “Wow, you all must look great right after a two-day drive, huh? Just wait until I get my lights on!”

The Hitchhiker.

Adding more drama to this already eventful tale was the discovery of a small saw-whet owl hidden amongst the Rockefeller tree’s branches. The little bird had made its home in the tree and was not discovered until after the 200-mile truck ride to New York City. Thankfully, the owl, nicknamed Rockefeller, was safely placed in the care of wildlife experts. Many people on social media rebuked the Rockefeller Center for not checking the tree more thoroughly before cutting it down, while Rockefeller Center continued to claim that the owl must have flown in sometime during the journey.

While the drama surrounding this year’s Rockefeller tree was not surprising considering how 2020 has gone so far, it did provide some much-appreciated lighthearted entertainment and an interesting start to the holiday season!

Mackenzie is an article contributor for Her Campus at the University of Colorado Boulder. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics with a focus on Beauty, Fashion and Sex + Relationships. During the Spring 2023 semester, Mackenzie had the opportunity to further her public relations studies at the University of Westminster in London. Beyond Her Campus, she has experience writing for other publications including ROAM Boulder, CU Boulder's first life and style publication, and The ISA Journal, a blog dedicated to documenting students' experiences abroad. Additionally, Mackenzie has worked as a Seasonal Associate at Victoria's Secret, where she helped facilitate product releases within the fashion industry --- including the Victoria's Secret Icon Collection. In her free time, Mackenzie enjoys thrifting online, listening to her favorite Spotify playlists (each playlist has to have at least one Selena Gomez song, it's a rule!), and curating new content for her Instagram @mackenziehornik.
Sko Buffs!