This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Are you ready for this season’s hottest trends? Come see what you should search for before everyone else is. Some of these trends you may have seen coming, and some might surprise you. 

Platform flip-flops

Similar to other footwear trends we’ve seen, flip-flops too are victims of the platform wave. But these are not your mother’s 2000s platform flip-flops. These flip flops have ridged foam platforms instead of the sleek foam of the 2000s. There are also more strap options with platform slide options, too. 

Glitter pants

As mentioned in my trend cycle article, glittery and shiny pants are coming back. Think party vibes of the ‘80s with a ‘70s silhouette and you got your newest trending pants. Bright colors and sequins, satins, and glitter will be hitting the racks before you know it. These will be trending in both our beloved high rises and the newer low rises. 

Underwear as outerwear

Continuing the trend that has slowly crept over the last few years, we will see more underwear as outerwear. This mega-trend began with bralettes 5 or 6 years ago. What was once a hidden garment slowly saw its way into the sun. Now, we’re seeing corsets and strappy bras over shirts and as shirts. Additionally, bits of underwear sticking out will come back like the “whale tail” of the 2000s. Speaking of…

Tasteful whale tail

This is a trend that not all will be happy with, but what is fashion for but to bend the rules? We all know what the whale tail look is, where someone’s g-string or thong is sticking out of their low-rise pants. This is about to come back, but a bit more curated this time. Think of the I AM GIA brand pants from Euphoria we saw in early 2020, with strappy cutouts on the sides of the hips. The tasteful whale tail, as I like to call it, will show itself in pants with straps above the waistline, in both preset styles and tie-your-own variations. 

Wide-leg jeans

The slow widening of the pants is about to hit its peak once again. We have seen the switch from skinny jeans to mom jeans to straight-leg jeans, and now this trend will continue into full-leg wide jeans. This means that instead of the jeans being loose only from the knee down, the fit will be loose from the hips down. Get ready for anything short of the JNCO jeans to be popular this spring. 

Knee-high boots

The power of the thigh-high boot has been in and out for decades and isn’t going anywhere soon, but for now, we will see the knee-high boot take over instead. With inspiration from the platform trend, as well as ‘70s go-go boots, we will see many heeled knee-high boots this spring and summer. Pair them with a mini skirt or dress for a feminine look, or boyfriend style bermuda shorts for a more androgynous look.

Low-rise jeans

Shh….Shh… I know. The moment that low-rise jeans comes back has been a point of dread for many. Instead of thinking of this as something you hate and don’t want to participate in, take a look at the styles of newer low rise pants coming back. Instead of being skinny jeans that might accentuate your insecurities, these low rises have looser and more universally flattering waistlines, curving a bit at the hips instead of the straight line low rises we used to all have. 

Well, what do you think? Will you be participating in these trends shortly? Or getting ready to make fun of them in 10 years? Either way, you’ll be seeing them very soon.

Marita is HCCU's president and a senior studying operations management and marketing with a creative technology and design minor. She loves fashion, design and cooking. In her free time, she loves to go on walks and hang out with her bearded dragon, Walter!
Sko Buffs!