Spring Break 2013 Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Whether you’re out on a road trip with friends, flying down to a tropical beach, or just relaxing at home, Spring Break 2013 isn’t complete without a new playlist. Wherever this week takes you, these twenty songs are sure to help you make the most of it.

Va Va Voom by Nicki Minaj
Love her or hate her, Nicki Minaj’s music the epitome of catchy rap/pop jams. If you’re looking to get excited pre-arrival, crank this up in the speakers.

Harlem Shake by Baauer
The anthem of the season, Harlem Shake is a spring break playlist necessity. Play it when you’re feeling wild and ready to break out some crazy moves. Or just when you want to remember CU’s ridiculous version of the viral video trend.

I Love it  (feat. Charli XCX) by Icona Pop
This is the best song for when you’re dancing on tables in a Mexican bar. What happens later when the standard board calls you out on the vine videos posted of the scene? “I don’t care, I love it” is the ideal response.

Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker
The classic song with lyrics that everyone remembers blacked out, but could not tell you more than two lines of sober. Put this song on the playlist for those times the day has gotten the best of everybody. It’s guaranteed to bring everyone together in a drunken, sloppy, sing-a-long.

Can’t Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton) by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Macklemore is undeniably one of the biggest new artists out there and this song is a prime example of why. Add this single to the spring break playlist so you can listen to him and Ryan Lewis do what they do best, while you and your friends do what you do best.

Pour it Up by Rihanna
Rihanna is everything. Her entire album is the archetype of what a spring break playlist should be, but if you have to just pick a few, this song is definitely worthy. Sing it loud while the bartender makes you a fruity drink in Mexico or use it as motivation during those last minute cardio sessions.

Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips
The perfect ballad for laying out in the sunshine or cruising down the highway. This American Idol winner shows off his talent on the acoustic guitar as well as his easygoing vocals in the admired hit.

Suit & Tie by Justin Timberlake
Justin Timberlake has done it again. This quadruple threat has the women of America gawking.  “The 20/20 Experience” album was just released earlier this month and has already landed multiple top spots on iTunes. This popular track is the perfect song to listen to while you’re getting ready for a night out to dinner with friends or family.

Someone Like You by Adele
Don’t even pretend like you’re over Adele yet. What is any playlist without her? This song is a classic. Ideal for tanning time at the beach or just belting out alone in your bedroom.

Buzzkill by Luke Bryan
This is the most popular song off of Luke’s new album, “Spring Break…Here to Party” and certainly a personal favorite. Listen to it while you’re enjoying your resort’s all-inclusive perks and afternoon naps on white sand beaches.

F**kin Problems by A$AP Rocky
With a great beat and humorously ghetto lyrics, this song is bound to get you in the spring break mindset. Embrace that this top-hit will be most definitely be played at the maximum volume when you’re forced to start drinking at 10a.m.

I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift
The ultimate girls sing-a-long. A great set of lyrics that I’ve found are best enjoyed shouted loudly and off-key… as with any other Taylor Swift song.

Ho Hey by The Lumineers
Overplayed? Nah.

Wanted by Hunter Hayes
Remember that it wouldn’t be a real vacation if it didn’t entail some recovery days. Hunter Hayes soothing voice is perfect for relaxing and rejuvenating.

C’Mon by Ke$ha
This obnoxiously catchy tune is sure to put you in an extremely cliché and rowdy mood. The irrefutable fact is that these lyrics will be stuck in your head. But hopefully that means they can push out some of those sociology definitions that you had memorized for midterms.

Blown Away by Carrie Underwood
Another favorite girl-power artist. Blast this song through your headphones during a morning run on the beach or press play with the girls while you’re doing makeup and slipping into summery dresses before a night out on the town.

Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears) by will.i.am
It’s Britney B**tch… no further explanation necessary here.

One More Night by Maroon 5
The three words everyone will be begging by the end of the week. And who doesn’t want Adam Levine’s voice serenading them through their headphones?

I’m Different by 2 Chainz
This track will have you amped up and ready to make the best of your days and nights. A partying song that will undoubtedly encourage bad decisions and have you accepting college spring break as a rite of passage.

Feel This Moment (Feat. Christina Aguilera) by Pitbull
Does anyone ever know what Pitbull is actually saying in any of his singles? No. Does anyone care? No. Why? Because they’re too busy bumping and grinding to the addicting Latino beat. Paired with Christina’s insane vocals, this song demands poolside dancing.

The sun is shining and winter is officially gone. Whether you’re spending the week rocking that hard-earned bikini bod or just enjoying an extended stay in bed, these songs are sure to put you in vacation mentality.

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.