This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Twas’ the night before Spring and all through the house, not a single person was willing to miss out on these hot new trends, not even a mouse. As the flowers start to bloom and the sun begins to consistently shine, turtlenecks and dark colors get replaced by pastels and flowy skirts. Without even checking the calendar, we know the season of Spring is here when trends of dying and cutting that winter hair begin and moods and spirits starting to rise. As another Spring begins to bloom, and many feel hope that the Pandemic is nearing, it is time to trade in those winter coats for some Hot Girl Spring clothes.

Knee-High Boots

Bring back the Go-Go Boots and the Retro Sixties, because knee-high boots are back in style. Fun fact, I had a pair of knee-high boots for a Halloween costume in third grade and my mother had to pry them off my feet four years later because I wouldn’t take them off my feet and my big toe was completely through the front of the shoe. These boots are to DIE for. Pair them with a bodycon dress, a leather jacket, and a baguette shoulder bag, or keep it casual with jeans, a plain white tee, and an oversized blazer. Feeling spicy? These boots in a bold, neon color or even in a fun, unique cow print can make a bland outfit runway-ready.

Crochet Sets

Back and better than ever is the trend of crochet. And when I mean back, I mean like really back. For real, ask your mother about her crochet days. And yes, for those of you asking I did go to my kindergarten school pictures wearing a poncho crocheted by my mom. Crochet sets are the perfect versatility pieces. Need a cover-up for a day at the beach? Crochet sets. Need a cute outfit for dinner on vacation? Crochet outfits. Want an outfit to wear when frolicking in the fields? Crochet sets. These two-piece outfits are light, girly, and cute, the perfect combination for your ideal spring outfit.

Chunky Rings

State of the Union. Out: Silver and Gold Jewelry. In: Bright colored, chunky rings. Sorry, I just had to include my Massie moment right there. Chunky, rainbow rings are the newest and greatest trend, and I am so here for it. These bright-colored rings truly incorporate what spring is all about. Whether you are pulling out the old Perler beads and making the DIY version or buying them from Etsy, they will truly transform any outfit you wear. And trust me, they will create that perfect Instagram aesthetically pleasing photo.

Sheer and Screenprints

These feminine, sexy, unique pieces are to die for! You will literally feel like you are wearing art, and is that not what fashion is all about? I love sheer tops in the spring, the light fabric makes the newly hot weather bearable while the detailed, delicate patterns make anyone wearing it feel beautiful. These prints are amazing to be dressed up or down, and there is nothing I love more than versatility. Sheer is so in, not only with tops but also with cute sheer skirts. These skirts are perfect to make your two-piece swimwear a three-piece, adding a classy and sophisticated look to the staple bikini.

Leather

Take those winter leather pants and add a twist. From leather dresses, statement purses, even swimsuits (yes Target has leather swimsuits), leather is going nowhere this spring. I am in love with leather pieces in pastel colors. I feel like the contrast between the harsh, thick fabric of the leather and the delicate, lightness of the colors is absolutely perfect for the transition from winter to spring. My all-time favorite use of leather is a kick-ass leather jacket, and no, I am not embarrassed to admit that my new white (had to change out my black jacket for a white one because duh, it’s spring) leather jacket is being delivered tomorrow.

Whether you are spending spring on the beach in sunny weather or in Boulder, in which “April showers” have turned into major snowstorms, spring fashion is coming at us in full force. The day has come where we trade out our black tops for lilac and baby pink, and our winter depression gets washed away. And the best part about spring, only a couple more months until summer!

Kristen Young

CU Boulder '24

Kristen Young is currently a junior at the University of Colorado Boulder studying strategic communications, on the public relations track, and minoring in both political science and business. She is originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota where she attended Wayzata High School. Alongside her academic career at the university, she currently works for the League of Women Voters and serves as the Panhellenic Delegate of the Alpha Chi Omega Nu Chapter. Through these experiences, she has learned organizational, communication, leadership, and time management skills.
Sko Buffs!