This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As we are all staying at home this fall, now is the perfect time to remind everyone of some great fall drink options with some added fun! As everyone knows, I am a huge fan of everything apple cider, so here are some great cider-based options for everyone to enjoy! (And a couple without cider for those of you who prefer other drink bases).

Spiked Apple Cider.

Ingredients:

2 quarts apple cider

1 ½ cup rum (or really however much you want)

Whipped cream

Instructions:

In a crockpot mix the cider and rum. Leave on low for 2 hours.

Top off with whipped cream and any other topping(s) you want. (Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon on top).

Apple Cider Based Mimosa.

Ingredients:

2-3 Cups of Apple Cider.

1 Bottle of Rosé Champagne, Chilled.

Cinnamon/Sugar For Garnish.

Instructions:

If you would like to have a cinnamon/sugar rim around your glasses, place some honey around the edges of your glasses and dip them into the cinnamon/sugar mixture that you’ve placed on a plate.

Now fill each of your glasses 1/2 full with the apple cider, then fill the remainder of the glasses with the Rosé, serve and enjoy!!! (you can also change the ratios depending on what you want)

Rumchata Hot Chocolate.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups milk*

3/4 cup half and half*

1 bar (~4.4 ounces) good quality white chocolate, chopped

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup Rumchata Liqueur

Whipped cream, for garnish

Mini marshmallows, for garnish

Ground cinnamon, for garnish

Instructions:

Pour the milk and half and half into a small saucepan. Heat on medium-low heat, just until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Don’t let the milk come to a boil!

Immediately turn the heat off, then add the chopped white chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted, then pour in the vanilla extract and RumChata.

Serve with a big dollop of whipped cream, some mini marshmallows, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.

Bailey’s Hot Chocolate.

Ingredients:

2 cups milk, preferably whole milk or 2%

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup Bailey’s Vanilla Cinnamon Irish Cream, or more to taste

Optional toppings: whipped cream, marshmallows, and/or chocolate sauce

Instructions:

Place milk, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, and cinnamon in a saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk frequently until the cocoa powder and sugar have dissolved, the chocolate chips have melted, and the mixture is hot (do not boil). Add the Bailey’s and vanilla extract, and stir until heated through. Transfer to mugs and serve immediately. Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, or chocolate sauce, if desired.

I hope these spiked drinks can spice up your fall quarantine!

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!