This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Okay everyone knows that SPF is important, but how many people actually wear it every day? Like every day, not just when it got super sunny? I know, you want that glowing tan plus we’re young and hot now so who really cares? Your skin cares and so should you so let’s break down SPF.

Source // Goddess Garden Organics

First, what you need to know:

There are two different kinds of sunscreen: chemical and mineral.

Chemical sunscreens tend to be more irritating to the skin. They seep into your skin after you rub it in. They work immediately after being put on and absorb the UV rays kind of like a sponge.

Source // Allure

Mineral Sunscreens, sometimes called physical sunscreens, sit on top of your face instead. They usually take about 20 minutes to work after being put on so plan ahead. They use the active minerals zinc oxide or titanium oxide to deflect the rays from your skin and since they focus on mineral ingredients, they don’t rely heavily on a bunch of other synthetic chemicals.

Now here’s the kicker, whichever sunscreen you choose, you have to wear it every day. Even when it’s cloudy because UVA and UVB rays still get through clouds and are still harmful to your face.

Source // Popsugar

Now for the consequences of not wearing a daily sunscreen. Aside from the big one, skin cancer, not wearing sunscreen and tanning too frequently can also lead to early skin-aging, wrinkles, dark spots on your skin later in life, freckles, and wrinkles. Yes, even us young, hot babes can get early wrinkles without sunscreen. And unfortunately for all my babes like me with acne, hyperpigmentation can come as a consequence of not wearing sunscreen! Yep, all the acne scars.

Source // Beauxmondes

So now I know summer plans are coming up and the beaches and pools and tanning booths are calling so let’s talk about what some sunscreen options are for your breaks:

So for my lazy babes, SPF infused in your makeup is always an option, but I recommend at least SPF 30 to make sure you’re really protected. My favorite is IT Cosmetic’s CC+ Cream SPF 50.

If sunscreen makes you ashy, tinted sunscreen is the way to go. My go-to daily sunscreen is Bare Republic’s Mineral SPF 30 Tinted Face Sunscreen.

For my babes who love their laptops and phones and do not want to mess up their makeup with sunscreen, the Coola Full Spectrum 360° Sun Silk Drops SPF 30 is the way to go. You put it in your makeup or moisturizer and it also protects against blue light.

Are you constantly checking to make sure the ingredients are essential and healthy? I understand and I have the perfect, essential, antioxidant-rich sunscreen dedicated to keeping your skin healthy and junk-free, Krave’s The Beet Shield.

Do you say the sun is your life? Whether you’re a swimmer, lifeguard, or Boulder cyclist, Sunbum SPF 70 is hardcore and will protect your long hours in the sun. Just remember to reapply.

If you’re just trying to get a high-maintenance, great sunscreen and move on with your day, Supergoop is the gal for you.

I know sunscreen can be a bit overwhelming but in the end, just wear it and know which kind is best for you. Stay safe out there in those rays this summer.

Source // Pinterest

Love you, babes,

Louisa

Louisa Brott

CU Boulder '20

Louisa Brott is a senior BFA student currently majoring in Cinema Production and minoring in French at the University of Colorado Boulder. In addition to HerCampus she is a Panhellenic woman at CU. Louisa hopes to one day direct a blockbuster film that focuses on the misrepresentation of gender in Hollywood films and hopes to create a production studio with a slide and a nap pod that sheds light on important social issues. You might see Louisa on campus pulling all-nighters in the ATLAS editing lab, or working at the Starbucks on the Hill. She has insider information about what Starbucks drinks to order and what to pass on. Moodboards, Chick Flicks and dogs are the way to her heart, and she won't complain if you happened to send her a Summer Fridays mask.
Sko Buffs!