Godzilla v Kong: Picture 4
Godzilla v Kong: Picture 4
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures

Somewhere on Skull Island: Cinematic Worlds Collide in New Film ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

You’ve seen them both on the big screen before, but never like this. In critically acclaimed director Adam Wingard’s new film, the world’s of Godzilla and King Kong come together for the ultimate battle of the Titans. Starring Alexander Skarsgård, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Shun Oguri, Eiza González, Julian Dennison, Kyle Chandler, and Demián Bichir, ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ takes a dive into Hollow Earth and the exploring motive behind Gozilla’s rage. It is the fourth film in the “Monsterverse” brought by Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures, and its release couldn’t have happened at a better time.

The film follows two journeys. The first one takes us on a path of discovery as Dr. Ilene Andrews, (Rebecca Hall) Dr. Nathan Lind, (Alexander Skarsgård) Jia, (Kaylee Hottle), and Kong himself, travel to Hollow Earth in search of answers for Kong’s origin in order to save mankind. The second follows high schoolers Madison and Josh, (Millie Bobby Brown and Julian Dennsion) along with Bernie, (Brian Tyree Henry) in the hope of uncovering what is truly going on at Apex Cybernetics and figuring out the motive for Godzilla’s recurring rage. 

Unlike many of the times that Kong has been seen before, ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ follows a journey of self-discovery for his character. As they make their way to Hollow Earth, it is discovered that Kong can sign, which was taught to him by Jia, a deaf Skull Island native who lost her parents and is left alone to be cared for by Ilene. Jia and Kong form a special bond because both of them are the last of their kind. The concept of home continuously comes up in the film, and when they reach Hollow Earth, Kong immediately flows into a version of himself never seen before. On this journey to Hollow Earth, Godzilla comes after Kong multiple times, and their battles get more nerve-racking every time. 

Godzilla vs Kong: Picture 3

(L-r) GODZILLA fights KONG in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ action-adventure ‘GODZILLA VS. KONG,’ a Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary release.

Back in Pensacola, Florida, Godzilla reappears and attacks the local Apex Cybernetics facility. Titan conspiracist Bernie searches for answers as to what is causing Godzilla’s attacks, and he finds himself in luck when he is approached by Madison, a large follower of his conspiracies, and her witty friend Josh. The three go on a quest to unlock Apex’s most hidden secrets, but find themselves in trouble when they’ve accidentally stepped on a ship headed for Hong Kong. While this seemed like the most of their troubles, once there, they find themselves facing a monster so big that not only Godzilla and Kong are in trouble, but humanity itself. It is up to this unlikely trio to solve the problem Apex creates, and it is done in a humorous and unexpected way.

Both new to the Monsterverse, talent Brian Tyree Henry and Julian Dennison talk about how fun it was to be a part of something so big and with so much cinematic history. “Being able to be a part of something so epic like ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’, the turf war that has ever turfed, we’re actually going to be a part of this epic battle that most people who are a fan of the franchise have been waiting for and also, it was fun to be a part of something fun. It just seemed like the right place to be. It was a lot of fun and I think that’s something we all need right now. To turn something on and have fun and realize that we are shouting at a monkey and a lizard fighting, and that was the biggest thing for us,” said Tyree Henry. 

Godzilla vs Kong Picture 1

(L-r) MILLIE BOBBY BROWN as Madison Russell, JULIAN DENNISON as Josh Valentine and BRIAN TYREE HENRY as Bernie Hayes in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ action-adventure ‘GODZILLA VS. KONG,’ a Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures release.

‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ brought something new to the Monsterverse. It showed us two giant monsters who were always seen as these two violent, giant strangers to humanity and this film created so much depth while keeping their identity, and truly makes it both unique and spectacular. “Adam Wingard, the director, had such a vision for this film, and every day he stepped on set ready to see that vision come to life, and I remember just standing on set and really thinking about what he wanted to do. He wanted to bring something new and a new light on the film,” Dennison tells us. 

This film had many moving parts to it, and Julian Dennison and Brian Tyree Henry both said it was made possible in such an epic way because the most important thing to the cast was to have fun and bring something even more fun to fans and spectators. 

The latest addition to the Monsterverse, ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ is a film packed with action, movement, new threats, and long-standing history, and it still manages to take us on a journey that leaves so much room for self-discovery, laughter, and the fun this cast hoped to create. It only leaves the question of what the Monsterverse will bring next.

Be sure to watch ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ on HBO Max and in theaters today.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!