So F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Is Gone…What Should You Watch On Netflix Now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re at all like me you probably spent the end of the last decade straight BINGING F.R.I.E.N.D.S. until the dark, depressing day that Netflix cruelly pulled the plug on streaming the greatest sitcom ever made. I spent so long getting way too attached to those six that when the show was taken offline on Jan. 1, I was hit with mega depression. What would I dedicate my minimal free time to watching now?! Well sit back, Buffs, because I’m here to help you with all of your post-F.R.I.E.N.D.S. blues!

New Girl

I was almost ten years late to this party, and let me tell you I definitely missed out. This show probably most resembles a modern day F.R.I.E.N.D.S. dynamic, complete with quirky and, at times, dysfunctional adventures of five close friends/roommates. If you’ve never watched New Girl before you should definitely give it a chance, I’m sure you’ll love it!

Schitt’s Creek

This comedy follows the riches to rags journey of a group of elitest types that are forced into the less-than-lavish lifestyle of Schitt’s Creek. From the hilariously over-dramatic Moira, to the definitely spoiled Alexis, this show is essentially the exact OPPOSITE of The Beverly Hillbillies, but definitely deserves the same notoriety and praise all the same!

Grace and Frankie

Created by the very producers who initially thought up F.R.I.E.N.D.S., this incredible comedy follows the unlikely friendship dynamic of two elderly women. Tackling subject matters such as sex, drugs, dating and masterbation, this show has something for all. Seriously, I have recommended this show to friends, my parents and even my grandparents, and ALL of them have adored the iconic duo that is Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. I NEVER thought that I would be able to relate to a show that was about post-retirement age women, but believe me, I did and you will.

SKINS

Remember Drake being in a wheelchair while he was on Degrassi? Well if you thought that was good than you’re going to LOVE this show. Probably the darkest on the list, SKINS follows college aged teens in England as they battle the dragon that is growing up and adulthood. They essentially did what Degrassi wanted to do, and they executed it perfectly. However, if you give this series a shot you will be as connected to this ensemble cast as you were to the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Perhaps even more so as they are by far closer to our age group! 

Netflix may have done us all dirty, but with these four shows HOPEFULLY you are able to get through the loss of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.! Happy Streaming Buffs!

Charly Taylor

CU Boulder '21

Charly Taylor is a Junior at CU Boulder (SKOOO BUFFS!) and is in her first semester writing for Her Campus! As a Los Angeles native, she is a huge connoisseur of sushi, burritos and avocado toast. When she's not hanging out with her friends, she's probably watching FRIENDS, or listening to My Favorite Murder.
Sko Buffs!