This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

October is in full swing and what better way to enjoy this spooky month than slasher films? When you think of popular slasher films, titles like “Friday the 13th”, “Halloween”, and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” might come to mind, but there are so many others that you should watch instead (in my annoying film major opinion). The horror film genre is largely dominated by psychotic male antagonists killing innocent people instead of going to therapy. However, what if I told you that there are multiple films not only starring women, but sort of offer a spin on the genre in the process? Here are eight films that are, in my opinion, a bit more fun, amazing, showstopping, etc; I support women’s rights but I also support women’s wrongs, cheers. 

1. The “Fear Street” Trilogy (2021)

Released on Netflix during the summer of 2021, the “Fear Street” trilogy is a must watch. Spinning off of R.L. Stine’s “Fear Street” novels, these three films follow a group of teenagers trying to break a town curse that has punished them for centuries. While there is a central story, each film is set in a different time year, which all tie together at the end of the third film. There are so many plot twists and turns in each movie, constantly keeping you on the edge of your seat. While slightly gorey, these films are not too scary, making them the perfect trilogy to binge watch with a group of friends. 

1. “Jennifer’s Body” (2009)

One of my favorite films of all time, “Jennifer’s Body” stars none other than Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried. This film follows Jennifer (Fox) and Anita, or “Needy”, as Jennifer becomes a boy eating cannibal following a suspicious night at the town’s dive bar involving an indie band, a bar fire, and sacrificial ritual. The film was widely criticized at the time of it’s release due to being poorly marketed, but has since then become a cult classic. The film spins the horror genre in a subtly queer and feminist way, making it highly praised today. 

1. “Pearl” (2022)

“Pearl,” starring Mia Goth, is sequel to the 2021 film “X” featuring big names like Jenna Ortega, Brittany Snow, and Kid Cudi. The film is about a young woman named Pearl during the 1918 Influenza Pandemic who longs for stardom and to leave her family’s farm. Pearl can only be described as the unhinged embodiment of female rage. Deeply plagued with her desire to become a star, stating the infamous “Please I’m a star” quote, she unleashes her dissatisfaction and anger on anyone who gets in her way. As Pearl’s dissatisfaction and desire for fame grows, she starts to unravel, leaving no mercy for any of the characters. What I took away from this film is that if you see Pearl just smile and nod. 

1. “Ready or Not” (2019)

To nobody’s surprise, being rich is not all sunshine and rainbows. “Ready or Not”, starring Samara Weaving, gives insight into the weird shenanigans that rich families do for seemingly no reason. What Grace (Weaving) thinks will be a normal family dinner, following her marriage into an affluent family, turns into a night of survival and sweaty palms. Grace is sucked into a deadly game of hide-and-seek which turns out to be a sacrificial ritual that has been in the family for years. I don’t wanna give too much away but let’s just say Grace literally slays in this movie. 

1. “Bodies, Bodies, Bodies” (2022)

Campy and Gen-Z, “Bodies Bodies Bodies” pretty much sums up being a teenager in 2023 in the form of a slasher film. With a stacked cast including Rachel Sennott, Pete Davidson, Amandla Stenberg, and Chase Sui Wonders, the film offers a lighthearted and comedic approach to the horror genre. It follows a group of teenagers as they head to a family mansion to ride out a hurricane. An already tense night between the teens turns into a night of murder and twists as they each start to show up dead. As the group tries to figure out who is the killer among them, secrets and betrayals are revealed. The film is a fresh and satirical take on the horror genre, and encapsulates the humor and realities of being Gen-Z in this day and age (well maybe without the killing). 

Horror films don’t all have to be centered about frightening male villains, there can be women villains too! Albeit I would argue most of these films’ characters can be somewhat justified and understood. Not only do these make great choices for a late October night, but they could totally work for Halloween costumes too. What are you still doing reading this? Go pull up Netflix. 

Karina Sercombe

CU Boulder '25

Karina is a contributing writer to CU’s Her Campus chapter for the 2023-2024 school year. This is her first year writing and she enjoys writing about all things film and pop culture. Karina is a junior studying Cinema Production and hopes to one day combine her love for writing and film. Outside of school, Karina has worked for local film festivals and hopes to continue doing so. When not watching movies or writing for Her Campus, she enjoys reading, traveling, or playing soccer.