This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The month of October is upon us. With Halloween quickly approaching, it is absolutely essential to have a playlist filled up with your favorite spooky season songs. Here are six recommendations to help get you on your way to creating your perfect spooky season playlist! 

1. “Siren” – Kailee Morgue  

“You’ve been seeing me in your dreams but I’ll be there when your reality drowns”

Staying true to her title, Kailee’s voice in this song has an alluring aspect to it, similar to that of a siren. The eerie tone she sets through her music feels hypnotic and mesmerizing all at once, whilst simultaneously exuding an underlying sinister tone. She’s enticing you to be with her, even if it’ll ultimately lead to your ruination.

1. “Hushh” – AViVA 

“Show you what hell really feels like, I can keep a secret if you hush, hush”

Keeping up with the eerie theme, AViVA alludes to an underlying sinister secret in her song; a secret that, once it’s revealed, will force her to never let you go. Learning the secret and satisfying your curiosity comes at a price. Haven’t you ever heard the saying: Curiosity killed the cat?

1. “Spooky, Scary Skeletons” – Andrew Gold 

“Spooky, scary skeletons send shivers down your spine”

Oh, come on. Of course, this classic will always find itself on my playlist during spooky season. Something about the alliteration, it’s just so satisfying. Spooky, scary skeletons do, in fact, send shivers down my spine! Halloween just isn’t Halloween without this song on my playlist to set that mood. 

1. “Killpop” – Slipknot 

“It’s so confusing, the methods that she’s using”

Okay, quick disclaimer: this song takes a bit of a turn, genre-wise. I absolutely love heavy metal, and Slipknot specifically always finds its way on my playlists. But I understand that the genre might not be for everyone. So, as a good compromise, I’ve picked one of Slipknot’s more mellower songs (at least, in my opinion). Just give it a try, you might enjoy it! Once again keeping with an eerie theme, Slipknot alludes to the disturbing duality of the “she” in the song. The “she” they are alluding to represents the music industry, and the song speaks on their tumultuous, love-hate relationship with “her”. 

1. “Hex Girl” – Moon Sisters, The Nostalgia Girls 

“I’m a Hex Girl, and I’m gonna put a spell on you”

Look, it just isn’t a proper spooky season without a Hex Girl song! So what better song to put than THE Hex Girls song? The Hex Girls were essential to my entire childhood (yes, I did have a Scooby Doo obsession as a kid). They stuck with me throughout my life, unapologetically and unashamedly. Everytime the month of October hits, the Moon Sisters find their way onto my playlist. The spooky stylings of the Moon Sisters and The Nostalgia Girls are quintessential for the Halloween haunts. 

1. “Dancing With Your Ghost” – Sasha Alex Sloan  

“I put the record on, wait ‘til I hear our song, every night I’m dancing with your ghost”

If you’ve ever watched “The Haunting Of Hill House”, you know what scene I’m referring to: the scene where Eleanor Crain dances in a trance-like state with the ghost of her late husband, Arthur Vance. This song reminds me of that scene in the most wistful and somber way. Yet somehow, this song always finds a way to lull me into a sense of comfort. Sasha’s voice is so soothing in the best way; she instills a sense of tranquility and almost nostalgia in me whenever I hear her voice. This song is haunting, yet simultaneously reassuring.

Aarushi Singh

CU Boulder '25

Aarushi is currently a third year at CU Boulder majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology, with a Pre-Med focus. After Undergrad, she hopes to work as an EMT during her gap year before medical school. When she's not studying or working, you can find her reading one of her various romance books, looking for new music to listen to, and binge-watching 'New Girl' for the millionth time.