brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > Digital

Should Your Instagram Be Private or Public?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s one of the oldest debates: whether or not to set your Instagram account to public or private. As someone who recently made the switch from a private account to a public account, I’ve done my fair share of research into this topic. Below, I am going to explain the pros and cons I’ve come across with each option, and how the type of account you want to have might better help determine which decision is best for you. 

The difference between Private and Public.

The official Instagram Help Center explains the difference between a private and public account:

Public: Your profile and posts can be seen by anyone, on or off Instagram [this is important to note], even if they don’t have an Instagram account.”

Private: Only the followers you approve can see what you share, including your photos or videos on hashtag and location pages, and your followers and following lists.”

While it may seem straightforward, knowing exactly what people can and cannot see from the different types of accounts is important to understand as you begin to weigh your options.

Kim Kardashian Instagram GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Pros of having a private account.

Because you can control who sees your posts, a private account does a better job at protecting you from thieves and harassment. Especially on Instagram, there is a real problem of people stealing other people’s content. Impersonation is also an issue, with bot accounts using people’s photos and pretending to be them. Thankfully, Instagram has a “report” option next to posts, where you can flag an account for stealing your content or pretending to be you. However, it is important to understand that with so many accounts on Instagram, you might never become aware another account has stolen your content. If you’re uncomfortable with the idea of having your photos being accessible for literally anyone on the internet to see, you probably want to keep your account private. 

Cons of having a private account.

Without people being able to see your photos right away, there’s no real incentive to follow you– unless they’re already connected to you in some way. Additionally, the chance of being discovered from using hashtags or location tags is nonexistent with private accounts. Therefore, if you’re hoping to grow a large following, this can be extremely difficult when you’re set to private. For example, any sort of business account (like an art account or photography account), might benefit more from being public.

Meryl Streep GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Pros of having a public account.

If you make your account public, you have the chance to go an extra step forward and create a “Professional Account.” This option is basically the same as a public account, but you get access to “Insights,” which are statistics that can tell you things such as how many accounts you’ve reached, how many followers you’ve gained/lost, and what times of the day your followers are most active. This information is extremely valuable if you’re looking to optimize the feedback you receive on your posts, and to see what your followers are most interested in from you. Another pro is the ability to spontaneously be discovered online. Many big brands like Rare Beauty repost photos from small creators all the time, allowing these smaller accounts to garner a large following quickly. Additionally, if you have an ex that you’re looking to make jealous, setting your profile to public allows them to see all the cool things you’re up to without them requesting to follow. With any luck, they might also accidentally click on your story, so that way you’ll get the satisfaction of knowing that they’re still thinking about you. 

Selena Gomez Thanks GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Cons of having a public account.

As mentioned previously, having a public account opens you up to vulnerability, with anyone and everyone being able to see what you post. You aren’t able to approve who follows you, and you open yourself up to possible stalkers. Be careful! Potential employers are also more likely to look you up on social media nowadays, so be mindful that what they can see on your Instagram could affect your chances of being hired.

Final thoughts.

Deciding whether or not to make your Instagram account public or private can be tough. To help make the decision easier, I recommend checking out Instagram’s Help Center (I know, it might be painfully boring, but it’ll help you be better informed!). 

In the end, though, it’s up to you to weigh your options and make a decision that’s best for what you’re looking to get out of your social media presence. Good luck!

Mackenzie is an article contributor for Her Campus at the University of Colorado Boulder. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics with a focus on Beauty, Fashion and Sex + Relationships. During the Spring 2023 semester, Mackenzie had the opportunity to further her public relations studies at the University of Westminster in London. Beyond Her Campus, she has experience writing for other publications including ROAM Boulder, CU Boulder's first life and style publication, and The ISA Journal, a blog dedicated to documenting students' experiences abroad. Additionally, Mackenzie has worked as a Seasonal Associate at Victoria's Secret, where she helped facilitate product releases within the fashion industry --- including the Victoria's Secret Icon Collection. In her free time, Mackenzie enjoys thrifting online, listening to her favorite Spotify playlists (each playlist has to have at least one Selena Gomez song, it's a rule!), and curating new content for her Instagram @mackenziehornik.