Shopping on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Being a broke college student is not just a stereotype- it’s a lifestyle. As a college student, you can find the clothes you had, no longer fit to your new life. No longer are you limited by outdated dress codes, but who knew you would “need” a closet as casual as sweatpants to heels and everything in between. With the temperature dropping, comes the desire for new clothing. However, shopping doesn’t have to break the bank!

Purge your closet

Realistically, you probably don’t even have room in your closet for new clothes. Use this as an incentive to go through the items in your closet and determine what items you think you would be able to sell or donate. Selling clothes is an excellent way to make some extra cash, whether you choose to sell to a second-hand store nearby or online. Remember, the best selling items are a brand name, in season, and not damaged.

Shop Resale/Thrift

As cliche as it sounds, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure… so when you are selling your clothes, don’t forget to look around for yourself. The second-hand stores in Boulder are usually stocked with slightly used name brand items at a greatly reduced price. Additionally, on the online options above, you can search for specific items and get a great deal.

Thrift shopping is not only a cheap way to find clothing, but it is also a fun activity to do on a crisp fall day! Make sure to set aside at least an hour or more and look through all the of the sections in the thrift store. You would be surprised what you can find in the men’s section! This is a great way to stock up on fall essentials like flannels, oversized shirts and possibly score a vintage CU apparel!

Shop Discount Department Stores

I know I feel like a mom whenever I go into big department stores, but mom knows best, right? Sure, it’s not as fun as browsing on Pearl Street but don’t sleep stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Target and Nordstrom Rack. You can find incredible deals on name brands like Free People, Levi’s, Lucky, Steve Madden, Vans, and Sorels. Check these stores for deals on fall jackets, shoes, everyday essentials, and workout gear!

Shop the sale rack

This should be the first place you go to in the store. However, don’t forget that an item being on sale is NOT a reason to buy it. You should love it and it happens to be on sale. A good time to find steals in the sale section is when the seasons are changing. Buying clothes out of season isn’t always recommended, but Boulder’s weather is a little all over the place, so you can almost get away it.

Student Discounts

It pays off to have student debt… well kinda of. A lot of your favorite stores probably offer a student discount and you aren’t even aware of it. Some have you to show your student ID in the store while others make you sign up online to receive the discount for online orders. Make sure to sign up websites like UNIDAYS and Student Beans.

Additional Discounts

Do you ever feel like you just bought something and now you see it on sale? Never have this problem again by using the website Shoptagr.com. This website allows you to install a shortcut on your web browser in which you can save anything from any website online to a collection on the website/app. You select your size and choose when you want to receive a notification if the item is on sale at all, 25% off, or 50% off! You’ll thank yourself later!

Happy shopping!

-Rudy

Rudy Joon

CU Boulder '21

Rudy is a sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications with a focus of media design in the College of Media, Communication and Information, and double-minoring in Journalism and Tech, Arts, Media. She is from Saugatuck, Michigan and will always have a place in her heart for Lake Michigan, but equally loves the mountains. Her passion for helping others got her involved as a CMCI ambassador and a writer for Her Campus. Off-campus, you can find her hiking in the Flatirons, eating kale chips or running 5 minutes late.
Sko Buffs!